who can I contact so they can start taking your fingerprints before issuing out a loan?

thats the only way identity theft will calm down, and it'll be harder for hackers to take your identity and get loans under you without permission, I wonder why stupid banks havent thought of that! my MIL got 13 loans under my hubbys identity and we're barely finding out, she faked his signature and got away with it because she was also having an affair with the idiot that let her, plus shes a loan officer. I'm more than sure if the fingerprints were required before getting a loan none of this would of happened.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree, something like that needs to be done. I'm sorry this is happening to your hubby and you. Sue her.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:30 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Oh, and as for who to contact....I can only think maybe your state rep so he can try to get a bill passed.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• an interesting idea...i'll be thinking about that. sorry for the family/financial mess you're having to go through :(
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 2:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Call / write the bank's home office (not MIL's branch) to someone in charge of bank loans, let them know what's going on. Provide a copy of the credit report showing the illegal loans and tell the bank that you want your names cleared or your attorney will be contacting them. They'll conduct an investigation and pursue it legally. If she loses her job or ends up in jail then that was the risk she took. Anyone in cahoots with her is just as guilty.
    snaprcat1

Answer by snaprcat1 at 3:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Put a fraud alert on your credit bureau that says something like they must verify you are the person sign with proper id and your drivers license must be in loan documents. If you don't need credit at the moment you can also do a credit freeze. Just call credit bureau and tell them about the identity theft and see if they can tell you what to do.

They now have identify theft insurance. Call Zander Insurance because I think you can sign up and they maybe able to help you through this nightmare with your motherinlaw. There was a guy in this same situation (how sad that this is not a unique problem) and I heard they helped him.

With your case I would ask where is your DH license. Every loan I had required me to have my license even the local credit union where they know me by face and name without ID. I would call the DA about pressing charges.

I am writing this very early so hopefully this makes sense.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 4:12 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• whats the DA? I do want to press charges but dont know if I need a lawyer for that because I already made the police report and the detective just told me its up to the prosecutor to tell me if I can press charges or not..and I added the credit freeze to and send them my police report so they can make it permannet but they only made it for 90 days so I wasted a stampand all the ink of the copies I made to send to the credit report company and all for nothing :( because even though I sent them all the proof to make it permanent they still didn't. and they dont have any number to talk to a person its always a machine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• DA= District Attorney...take your case higher that your local police department! Based on what you said this sounds like a case a DA would want to take on--fraud, banks, identity theft, forgery, etc.! You should be able to find your county's DA by doing a simple internet search--(ie: District Attorney in Cook County, IL)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Definitely don't give up.. contact a lawyer that deals with this.. he will most likely get all the court paperwork ready for you and deal with the DA. I would also write and call your state rep about a policy like this..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:12 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Proper ID should be required. I won't do business with a bank that requires my fingerprints. . .They have my signature, any kind of ID they could want, that should be enough. My fingerprints aren't on file anywhere, as I am not a felon. I'd like to keep it that way.

You should be checking your credit report every year. I don't know how she managed to take out thirteen loans in one year, but it is on her and hopefully you and your hubby have learned to keep better tabs on your reports. It's not just ID theft, there are errors on almost everyone's report.
    It will take about a year to get the damage she caused off his report.

I'm sorry you are going through a hassle, it really sucks. But I would oppose legislation based on tracking the innocent, not the guilty.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• lovinangels she didnt get all 13 loans in one year she got them in the years of 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 and 2007. and we had never checked our credit reports only when we were thinking of getting a car they cheked it for us and when we got dishnetwork but they never told us all those loans came out on there so thats why we didnt know and we thought we had to pay inorder to check it. i think by fingerprinting is th eonly way they wont take youir identity, especially damn family members like my hubbys own mother that faked his signature and took his id from his room back in the day when he use to live with them and made copies and used that plus she was a loan bank officer adn was having an affair with the main guy there so she got away with all that fraud!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2009