I was wondering???

So I am 32 weeks and I was at the doctor the other day and he looked kinda worried and told me that he needed to do an ultra sound, because either my daughter is growing to big or I have way to much fluid in there, At the time I was 31 weeks and when he measured me He got 34 I have been measuring big every time but when i told my mom this she told me that If she is to big that they wont let me push that he will just go ahead and do a c section is this true??? I want to try and push :(

Mommytobe403

Asked by Mommytobe403 at 2:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no its not true my son was big and had a huge head and i had him vaginally im sure you would be fine just tell them that you dont want a csection unless it is absoulutly neeed
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• You don't have to consent to a c-section. Your doctor works for you, and will do what you want. Given he will make recommendations based on his experience and preferences. Just do your research and see what is best for you.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• The doc's first concern is going to be the health of the baby and keeping you in good shape during the delivery. If you are a small person, the baby can sometimes not fit through your pelvic joint or too much fluid can signal possible complications. A big baby may signal undiagnosed gestational diabetes. Frankly it sounds like your doctor is just trying to be proactive in getting the plan for your delivery together. It's better to plan for things now rather than scrambling around later on. Relax and go get the ultrasound and follow up with your doctor. Everyone has plans on how they want their delivery to progress but things rarely go according to plan. And in the end, how the baby comes out is not going to matter that much as long as you both are healthy. Then you just have to make it through the next 18-20 years, hahahaha.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 2:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• can you still have gesational diabetes even after they test you for it and it comes back that you dont have it
    Mommytobe403

Answer by Mommytobe403 at 2:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If the doc suggests a c-section have him explain the procedure to you and what goes on so you can be prepared. Doctors do not just "decide" to do a c-section, they make that diagnostic recommendation because having the baby vaginally may be dangerous or contra-indicated in some situations. You can refuse any treatment that you want to, but in the end you will have to live with the consequences of that refusal.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 2:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• At 32 weeks I was measuring at 39/40 weeks. The doctor sent me to L&D and did an ultrasound to check the size of the baby and my fluid. Both checked out right on target. I went back to my doctor a week later and was measuring right on target. Then at 37 weeks I was measuring at 40 weeks so he sent me to get a "big ultrasound" done. It appears I am going to have a baby on the bigger side. around 8.5-9lbs if I go to 40 weeks (just an estimate). I wouldnt worry. I asked a question about how big will the doctors let the baby get for a vaginal delivery and it seems that they can get pretty big according to the answers. hang in there.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 3:14 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• GAH! Any doctor who wont even let you push is a moron, and money hungry. The American Academy of Gynocology (something like that) doesn't even recommend interference unless the baby is suspected to be 11 lbs. (meaning no scheduled induction/cesarean). I can find you all the reference if you want (pm me)... It's just 320 am lol.

It's completely normal to measure ahead. His concern for 3 weeks is rather alarming, like he's looking for an excuse to be worried, to be honest. I measured ahead by 3-5 weeks constantly with my daughter. She weighed 8.6 lbs and was born at 38 weeks..

Go to the u/s if you want to, but don't give in to any medical procedure without doing the proper research. While a doctor went to medical school it doesn't mean he knows everything, or knows your body. Even women of small stature can deliver 9-10 lb babies without an issue! He can't tell you your body wont be able to birth, without even trying.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• you have to do whats best for the baby
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I completely agree with celticreverie!!!!
    Ultrasound weight estimates can be off by several pounds anyways, there is no foolproof way for them to tell how heavy your baby will be......and there are SO many things you can do to ensure your able to birth your baby, like staying upright and walking during labor, dont just lay flat on your back!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 2:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009