Ring a Ring o' Roses

Did you know there was more than one version to Ring around the rosy?

I was watching The Wiggles this morning with my LO and they were singing it different so I did a google search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_Around_the_Rosie

I was surprised to see how it's different in other places.

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 8:18 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• you also know ring around the rosey is about a pluage(SP?) the ashes ashes they all fall down part is about how they had to burn the bodies to stop it from spreading .... when i foudn that out it was just a little creepy lol i learned that in a history class back in high school
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• http://www.rhymes.org.uk/ring_around_the_rosy.htm

here is a link to the history about it so people dont think im lying lol you know how some people can get
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• No I didn't know that. Thanks for the link.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yes, the Black Plague, also called the Black Death killed 1/3rd of the population of Europe in the 13th century--in addition to all the normal deaths from other diseases, and starvation and fighting and whatever. Living conditions were somewhat worse than horrible. If you think even though there weren't as many people as there now, but still 1/3 of the population of the known world (Europe) is a staggering number of deaths.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I think the second verse is: The cows are in the meadow eating buttercups, atissue atissue we all stand up!
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009