I'm worried about my milk supply

My LO is almost 5 months and she was really fussy yesterday. She seemed to have a hard time eating. I'm nursing. Because she was so fussy yesterday I was worried about my supply, and then this morning when I woke up my chest wasn't tight at all like it usually is in the morning. (and has been ever since she started sleeping through the night at 2 months).

Could I be drying up?

What are some ways that I can increase my supply without taking supplements or drinking herbal tea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you gotten your period back? I got mine back at 6 months and have a huge drop in milk supply during it.
    Drink lots of water and nurse as often as possible.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:36 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I agree with AmiJanell...fluids are your friends. Also, you could try drinking a beer. When I was having trouble with my milk someone suggested this to me and something about the yeast really helped me. Pump between feedings if you can too. If all else fails, know that you gave your little one 5 months of the best!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Maybe she is teething. Your supply doesn't go downhill out of nowhere.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• if your chest was tight wouldn't that indicate that your breasts were very full?
    or maybe it was a different kind of tightness?

it could be teething or it could just be the 6 monthd growth spurt.
    just nurse baby whenever there is a need and they will be fine.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• How your breasts feel has nothing to do with having a good supply. Your body should adjust and you should not wake up feeling engorged.
    As long as you nurse your baby on demand, and don't restrict her time at the breast, then she will nurse ore and bring your supply up if that is what she needs. You don't need to take anything, just continue to nurse!
    If you have had enough milk for her for 5 months you will continue to, your body won't just stop working (unless of course you start taking hormonal birth control or take a bunch of Suafed). You can have a dip in supply when you get your period, but a day or two of more frequent nursing will bring it right back up.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I agree with maggiemom2000. Your body eventually stops OVER producing and makes just right. Just keep nursing your baby as much and as often as she wants. She might be hitting another growth spurt and might nurse more frequently to boost your supply. Could have been you ate too much of a certain food. Lots of things make baby fussy so just make sure she has about 6 wet diapers a day.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Actually my supply has decreased drastically in spite of herbal supplements and teas and oatmeal and everything else...and it is possible for your supply to dry up. some people are lucky I guess, but I have known people who EBF and they just stopped producing so it is possible but you can try oatmeal and lots of water if you don't want to take supplements. My DD is 6 months old and I can tell she's not as satisfied anymore. But if not, you did the best you could. Thats what I have to tell myself. good luck.
    Anonymous

• Fussy is NOT a sign of a supply problem. It can be a sign of teething, of a growth spurt, or of the return of your period.

Keep your water up and nurse frequently. I doubt you need anything at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009