• In the Spotlight:

Need help with Toodler - saying bad things

Hi I was wondering if anyone had to go thru getting their toddler not to say a bad word they heard on TV. My toddler heard a bad word and now he keeps saying it all the time when he is mad. Every time he said it we tell him no,. and that is not nice, and now he just says it all the time when he is mad about something.

Can anyone give advice on how to help my 2 year old son to stop saying that.
Thank you

bluna3

Asked by bluna3 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your son just heard it once on tv and picked it up that quick? I doubt it really. Kids learn by repitition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Stop reacting to it. The reason why he continues to say it is because it gets a reaction from you. No reaction, no need to repeat it. The bigger deal you make out of it the more he will say it.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Have you given him an alternate word to say when he's angry? Whenever he says the word you don't like, just reflect back to him, "Yes...darn it...I would be mad too." Or use whatever word you prefer. Don't make a big deal out of it or he'll keep saying it to get your response. Also, turn off the TV - if he's hearing words on there that he shouldn't be, then someone may not be monitoring the TV programming for him very well and exposing him to adult content. Just turn it off or get strict controls on so that he's only watching age-appropriate content. Also make sure no one in the house is using the language as well, otherwise he'll just keep hearing it over and over.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• i don't just think he heard it 1 time on tv....He has to have heard it before from someone else...also don't let a child watch a show with cussing and violence....that is for when the children are in bed NOT when they are awake
    Anonymous

• I fully agree 100% with the first THREE responses. My DS learned to say "what the hell?" and "damn it" from my mom. When DS was not talking to us we ignored it. When he WAS talking to us we gave him an alternative word. ALSO, i've taught him to tell ME and ALL other adults that when he hears bad words he's supposed to say "No more bad words!" And he does. It works great.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Try ignoring him and see if that has any effect.

I'd also cut out adult programming and ask those around him to watch their language.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My jordan says shit because I used to say it, but now that I stop saying it around him he stop using it...
    jay2

Answer by jay2 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• my dd is starting to pick up cuss words. WTF. d*mn*it.sh*t. we just totally ignore it! when she does say it to us, we tell her thats not a nice word. she still says them. hopefully she will move on soon & pick up some better words. lol. she has picked up words off from the TV & held on to them, but thankfully NOT bad words.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• OH my two year old cant but barely say a complete sentence but he can fluently use cuss words! the cat SH*T or if he gets mad at me when i tell him no he says bull sh*t or DA*n. Its annoying! My husband and i dont use those words that often . so he has heard them from family or tv!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2009