Do you offer 1 breast at each feeding or both? How long do you let them nurse?

Lenore0708

Asked by Lenore0708 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if they're a newborn, offer 1 and then if baby is still hungry after he/she finishes one breast then you can offer the other.
    just follow baby's cues.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• In the early days I offered both sides. As he got bigger and more efficient I only offered one side. I let baby nurse until he let go.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I have given up physically nursing my daughter and I am now pumping for all of her feedings. She is the hungriest baby I've ever seen, but she will fall asleep after one breast and not want to switch, but she is still hungry and will wake up and eat an hour later. With my first daughter, I would let her nurse 10 mins on one side and then until she was full or stopped on the other. I don't think there is any right or wrong way though, you've just got to do what works with your child.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I heard you are supposed to offer both, but I nursed two of my boys and both of them would fall aseep at the breast on only one side. so to keep the other one from getting engorged, during or right after nursing I would pump on the side he didn't nurse on. That kept my supply healthy and there was some for a bottle if I wa ever unavailable to nurse him, like if I was at work or what have you.
    As for how long, there is no set time limit, just nurse on demand for however long the baby nurses.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 10:12 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I always let the baby finish one boob, usually that's enough for my kids. They'd stay on one boob until they either fell asleep, or just unlatched. If they weren't sleeping I'd offer the other, but they usually wouldn't want it.
    As for the time, I never timed it, they go for as long as they need. In the beginning maybe up to 30 minutes, but after the first few weeks they got better at BF and didn't need to be on so long.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I offered both. My baby would nurse all he could on one side then eat until he was full on the other side.

Answer by Bmat at 10:18 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I offer one and I let him eat until he comes off or falls asleep
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:30 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• i breastfed my son for 3 months and i only offerd 1 breast at each feeding, but that was only becasue i had sooooo much milk , he drained one and one feeding then at teh next feeding the other breast would be filled hudge so he would eat off that one, it was sooo much easier for me to just let him get latche on and not bother him.
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I nursed for 19 months and never nursed on both sides. I offered one breast per feeding. It insured that the baby got all of the hind milk she needed!

Also, she would nurse from 5-20 min depending on her mood. I was a feed on demand momma lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My baby is six months old, EBF and I let his have one side (usually the left during the day and then the right at night, he doesn't like the right side and it's easier to give him it at a night) your boobs will adjust to whatever you are offering. Time wise, I don't time at all, and sometimes he is on for up to 30 mins just taking his sweet time! :) I'm still on demand...makes life interesting. He's only going to be this little, once though...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2009