how do i keep my son out of stuff?

my three year old will wake up at 5:00 in the morning and start to get into stuff. and i talking about what ever he can get into. what can i do to keep him out of stuff i have tried everything. please someone who can help me i would greatly appericate it.

armywags

Asked by armywags at 10:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Couple of different ways to answer this. If he's waking up this early, have you tried putting him to bed later? If he's taking naps during the day, have you tried cutting those out to see if he'll sleep in later? If you have and his natural alarm clock is just waking him up, then have you set rules about what he can and cannot do so that he understands the limits/consequences? If you have and he ignores these, then are you getting up early to monitor him? If you've set limits and followed through on consequences and he is still ignoring you, then get up when he does so that you can help him learn appropriate things to do this early in the morning. He may be an early bird, which will be hard if you're a night owl or if you work late, but leaving him to his own devices this early is not working and he needs to understand the rules of what he can and cannot do when he wakes up...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• cont...Try using pictures of things he can do when he wakes up - take pictures of activities, like playing with blocks, that he can do and put them on his door and remind him everyday that this is what he can do when he wakes up. Try to find a couple of different things he can do. And if he's waking up hungry, have some snack and drink ready in his room so he doesn't have to wander into the kitchen.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Take the temptation away...put all things you dont want him to play with out of his reach a babyproof the obvious (cupboard doors, outlets, etc....) Maybe start a schedule where there is a movie ready to play in the DVD player and mornings are "quiet movie time" or even "play in your room time"....not sure.
    My little guy is not quite there yet.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:32 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Most preschoolers can get past simple babyproof locks. Baby proof items are designed to give you a couple of mintues (that quick trip to the bathroom for example) to get back, notice what they are doing and put a stop to it. The packages even state - very clearly - that they are to be used with a supervised child and will not keep an unsupervised child safe.
    So, what do you do?
    Put a light in his room on a timer. Explain that he must stay in his room until the light comes on in the morning.
    Put the baby monitor back in his room so he can call for you instead of coming to get you if he needs you.
    If necessary, put a potty in his room and tell him he is to use that in the night... he is not to leave his room.
    Consider putting a traveler's alarm on his door so you will know if he opens his door.
    And make sure his room is as safe as possible. Tall pieces of furniture should be bolted to the wall, no breakables, etc.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Well...
    1) My child has never once woken up before me.
    2) If she touches something she is not suppose to, I say no and put it back where it was, no matter how many times I have to repeat.
    3) Once in a while I think of something stupid to give them that keeps them busy, a box, spoons, old christmas tree beads, hats, scarves and gloves in the summer time... Anything weird they normally never get.
    4) I remember the golden rule. If #2 results in the object getting broken or distroyed it is replacable. I make it an oppertunity to say, "That is why we do not touch it." And walk away.
    5) No extra attention !!! Say no and walk away. Say no and walk away.
    motherabc

Answer by motherabc at 10:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2009