do i just stop the formula and go straight to milk?

i JUST got the OK to start giving my 17 month old milk. shes been on formula since and i was wondering, do i just stop the formula cold turkey? or do i slowly put her on milk? if so, how? what did you do? and what kind of milk should i give her?

ANY advice or helpful tips would be great. thanks.

kiliki_malie

Asked by kiliki_malie at 10:41 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could ...but I did it gradually for my daughter....I did 25% whole milk 75% formula for a few days and then 50/50 for a few days and then 25%formula and 75% whole milk for a few more days ...it took about a week. She transitioned great and loves her milk.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• You might try mixing the formula and milk half and half for a day or two and slowly move toward plain milk. My first born had no problems switching straight out but my second I had to mix, it depends on how she does and what she likes. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I never used formula, but its probably the same nerves switching from BM to milk. How often is she having a bottle? is it more for comfort? it was like almost overnight for me and I was kinda shocked. I just tried it at first with snack time and then for a few days really paid attention to how meals, snacks he was eating and by the end of the day wasnt looking for BM and realized, hey he is eating enough people food he doesnt need it! good luck!
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My son is 2 now and didnt go on to cows milk till he was 18 months old cause he hated it but I suggest the same as the other moms and would do it gradually by mixing half and half. My son nursed for a very long time so he still likes for me to warm up the cows milk cause I guess it comforts him. Good luck to you!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I just switched mine straight to milk when the formula can was empty! They took right to it. We went completely off bottles at the same time- so, no formula, and no bottles. No issues... did it all at 12 months. When they asked for th ebottle, I gave them a cup. They were used to it in a few days.
    STVUstudent

Answer by STVUstudent at 12:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2009