How do you cut back?

I want some ideas on how to cut back spending. I can't seem to spend less. In these tough times can you give me some ideas on how to cheapen my lifestyle. I don't eat out and I don't go to the movies. Where have you cut costs?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I make my own laundry soap, I dry my clothes on the line, I make all of my own meals and don't take short cuts (don't buy pre cut chicken breasts, pre cut cheese/meats, make your own bread, ect), I use cloth diapers and cloth menstrual pads/diva cup, Turn your water heater on the lowest possible setting, turn off computer and tv when not in use, unplug phone chargers/gaming systems/ect when not in use, buy in bulk and on sale, use coupons, plan driving trips to minimize gas usage, get a smaller cable package if you don't already have the smallest one, I can think of TONS more things. PM me if you need more!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• How do you make your own laundry soap??????????
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• One cup grated soap (I like Zote soap found in the laundry aisle of k-mart or the hispanic aisles of other stores. One bar of Zote is three cups so you can tripple the recipe or cut the bar into thirds. You can also use felsnaptha or other soaps)
    1/2 cup borax
    1/2 cup WASHING (not baking) soda
    a few drops of essential oils such as tea tree or lavender (tea tree is an antibacterial and the others just smell good)
    ______
    Grate up the soap either by hand or with the food processor (I like using the processor)
    Then add in the borax and washing soda
    Add the oils and mix well (I mix in the processor as well)

To use... USE ONLY 1 TABLESPOON PER LOAD. Using more won't get your clothes any cleaning and can actually damage them and it wastes money. 1 tablespoon is enough!!!
    You can also add 1/2 cup white vinegar to the rinse and it works just as well as fabric softener and costs just pennies and kills germs.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Well I am pretty good with this! When we lived off base I had to find ways of making things cheaper. First of all, on sunny days make sure you open your windows instead of turning on lights. Unplugging electronics when not in use will save on your electric bill (those little led lights that stay on when plugged in pull energy), hang your clothes out to dry on a line (they smell better and actually stay brighter or whiter this way too as the sunlight acts like a natural bleach), run your washer and dishwasher only when full. Take showers instead of baths and set a timer for 5 minutes to save on water. Shop for groceries with coupons (its worth investing in the Sunday paper subscription for the coupons), make cheaper but still healthy meals (I can spend $75 per week to feed a family of 5, and pretty decent too). PM Me if you want more information, food ideas, etc. Cut your cable back, get basic phone service.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I am very impulsive, so when I see something I like, I tend to buy without thinking. I am working very hard to not do that and to show my receipts to my DH for every purchase--helps keep me straight. We have cut back on charging things, using only cash from allowances we now have. I am putting about 1/4 of my paycheck into my savings for insurance, taxes, etc. I am trying to use more fabric from my stash and I am trying to donate more quilts to help fill the gap for people that now can't donate because of lost jobs/income.

I keep telling people to buy what you can that is made here in the US regardless of whether the company is Europeon, Japanese, or what because if they are paying US citizens to do the work, the money is feeding our economy and helping to improve the tax base to help those who are now without work.

We all need to think US and supporting ourselves!
    StiinaQT

Answer by StiinaQT at 1:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Mint.com has helped me a lot. It's totally free and all it does is categorize your spending to help you figure out where the money is going. We found out we were spending $400 a month on groceries. I thought it was only around $300.
    Make a budget and try your hardest to stick to it. Write down how much income you have coming in, and write down how much you have going out as far as bills go. You might realize you spend more than you earn.
    Leave your debit/credit cards at home and carry cash.
    But try mint.com, it's helped DH and I figure out where we are spending too much.
    Anonymous

• We're just trying to cut back on going out to dinner, and other things that are not needed. I guess we are blessed that we don't really need to cut back too much.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 6:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• clip cuopns from the paper, and from www.cupons.com
    i never used to do it, but things are tight and i have become the queen of cupons, and i am actually saving a good amount of $$
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Use coupons
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• instead of cutting back so much, i work at home.. it is 100% free, legit, and pays well and on time :) check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxYwrP-IBs

blakesma

Answer by blakesma at 3:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2009