Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my toddler to give up his paci? He's nearly two, and it's his best friend.

Jenna1972

Asked by Jenna1972 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nope, can't wait to here other's response:)
    Rochelle976

Answer by Rochelle976 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Actually if you go to babycenter.com, it will tell you that its not dire that they come off of the pacifier right now. It will cause alot of anxiety for them but if you are certain that you want to ween your child off then they reccomend takeing the pacifier during the day and leaving it where he/she sleeps, this way they still know where it is. Nap time and bed time is the way to start and then slowly just go to bed time only and then no more pacifier. My son is 2 as well so I know where your coming from but the more research I did the less I feel like I need to take him off so quick. My husband and I set a goal that we would have him off of it by age 3 so maybe set a goal for your self and then work towards it. Good luck to you!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would do it slowly ...but if you do, do it.... you have to be consistent or else it will be pointless. Why don't you try limiting it to only at bed/naps?! Yes he will cry ...but I promise he'll survive!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:49 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• We had to take it away abruptly because my son started chewing through them and I was afraid he'd bite a piece off and choke. So we went cold turkey and it was pretty brutal. Luckily, before that happened we had already made the move to only allowing it in bed, so we just had to deal with bedtime. So to get over that hump, we gave him a stuffed animal as a comfort item instead. It would have been nice to have more time to ease into the transition gradually, but cest la vie. So my advice is to replace it with another comfort item and then gradually take the paci away. Just be consistent and it should be fine.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• cut the tip off a little each day
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 12:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My new baby will ONLY get the paci when he/she is sleeping. That's the only time it is really needed.
    Anonymous

• have him go cold turkey. I guess I'm a mean mom I threw away my kids pacifiers away at 6 months of age.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I'd give it to him only at nap/bed time and then after a while, ditch it cold turkey.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2009