Do you think once our 6 month old puppy gets fixed, she will be less hyper?

Our German Shepard is so damn hyper, we can hardly keep her in the house. We have a 13 month old baby, who she literally knocks over when she is in the house. We are hoping to walk her more often once it get warmer, so she can get most of that nervous energy out, but I am also hoping once she has surgery next week, we will see some difference

lynn63042

Asked by lynn63042 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Pets

• We had our dog fixed and 8 years later he is still hyper and he is a beagle. So I really don't know.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Nope. When our puppy was fixed I'm pretty sure it actually did the reverse.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• it did with both of mine and besided that it lowers her chance of breast cancer by 80%!! so youre doing a good thing.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• getting a dog fixed doesn't mean it will be less hyper.... german shephards are working dogs (that's why police use them) and need to be trained from a young age. if you don't start training her soon she'll be just as hyper at 14 as she is at 6 months. you also have to walk a dog every day (sometimes 4 to 5 times a day) to keep them kind of calmed down. it's not just a "once it warms up" type of thing.... but i know it's hard walking a dog in the cold, we have 3, most of the time though a good run in the yard does it for ours. just take her outside to play for an hour or 2
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It should. Also talk to your vet, they actually have meds for dogs that are extra hyper. Its just like with people. Sometimes they are just too hyper. Thus the need for the medications. You also still need to remember she is only 6 months old. Dogs, especially shepherds act like puppies for at least two years. Well thats at least what mine did. Rocky is now 5 years old, and only now I am seeing the changes in him. He is less crazy, less hyper. I also run him every day, so I am sure it helps. But I also give him jobs around the house. You know what they say shepherds are working dogs, and they need to work to keep them selves busy. Otherwise they will destroy your house. Let us know how she is doing once she is fixed.

Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Do you have a treadmill? If so, dogs can be trained to walk on the treadmill. It is a great way to get them exercise when it is cold outside. Check out Cesar Millan for training tips. A tired dog is a good dog (same goes for kids) ...you just can't expect them to behave when they have all that pent up energy.

ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I didn't notice a huge difference after we had our black lab fixed. She is almost 2 years old and is calming down a bit. I think, at that age, they are going to be hyper, they're puppies!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• certain breeds such as shepards and labs dont get out of their 'puppy' phase till around age 5. so your not so little one is probably gonna be hyper for a few years..my dad has a black king german shepard and she is sooo hyper that she'll only be calm when its Only her and my dad. my kids are Not afraid of dogs (they have a pitbull) but they're afraid of my dads dog becuase shes just too hyper and jumps left and right..he also didnt start training her right away..i would suggest you get on that training if you already havent and Definately take her to doggy obediance classes..GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Not really but it does have other great health benefits. As far as the behavior goes I would suggest a really good trainer. G.S.'s are busy body dogs they need a lot of exercise and attention. They like having 'jobs' Like get the news paper or bring me your bowl. As the PP said you have several more years of hyper ahead of you so you might want to get a grip on it now rather than later! Good Luck!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• most dogs mellow out around 2 yrs old thats when puppy stage is over.
    Anonymous