i have a lot of potted plants and this morning one of them had centipede looking bugs in the soil. how do i get rid of them, what are they??

rennisance

Asked by rennisance at 12:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Were they earwigs? Did they have pincher looking things on their butts?

Or did they have a bunch of legs like a millipede or centipede?

Either way, just get some outdoor bug spray (if your plants are outside)...and spray the top of the soil. make sure its safe for plants tho....7 Dust kills bugs...but if you have little kids, you probably shouldn't use that.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• All my plants are indoors...as I am in wyoming, its cold for 9 months out of the year:(
    rennisance

Answer by rennisance at 2:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If they look like centipedes they very well could be. I would use some diatomaceous earth around the soil of the house plants. It will cause the bugs to dehydrate and ultimately their death.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would try to capture one in a baggie or jar and take it to a local nursery to see if they can tell you exactly what it is. This way, if it is native to your area, they will know exactly what to use to get rid of them. It could have been transported in the potting soil that you use.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 7:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2009