How do I get my stepdaughters to stop talking about their mom and new boyfriend?

The way they share it is like gossip and if my husband wants to know. He never asks! (unless behind my back) I know they go home and do the same thing. (give the mom the 411 on us too. How do I say it not soooo mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ya, just keep your cool. they are doing it to get you pissed off ,and cause hurt feelings. could be that deep down they have a hope that mom an dad will get back together(even though they won't). it is just something kids sometimes hope for. they r kids an can be vengful ,coniving creatures. angry about the situation an taking it out on you. i know that is they way i was for my mom's boy friend. Just try not to let tehm see you get pissed. like the other one said say "that's nice dear ..." and let it go. eventualy it will stop.
    martyinMO

Answer by martyinMO at 3:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Cont. these girls are very smart and are jealous and work on making my daughter jealous too. Once one said to her dad when we were dating "Daddy I'm glad you still love mommy" he said he did say that to his daughter but explained as a friend! They just tip I toe around a little.
    Anonymous

• Change the subject fast once they start dishing, or say, "that's nice dear". They want you to overreact- Dont! The more you behave this way, the sooner their "dishing" will stop.
    Anonymous

• Thank you...I often ignore it but I feel like one of these days oh boy....i just want that something to say so I don't say it in my own way (super mean) You can only hold it in so long then PMS comes around.
    Anonymous

• sounds like they are doing it to get your goat and it's working. Just ignore them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• yup they will keep on doing it as long as they know they will get attention for doing it and get your goat as a bonus

Answer by admckenzie at 2:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My kids would do this after a rare weekend with their dad. I told them that of course I would listen is there was something important they needed to talk about, but other than that I would rather not hear about him. My son said you had to listen to enough of him when he was here didn't you mommy...lol. I couldn't argue with that. He then said that dad asks questions about me all the time. I told him he didn't have to answer any questions, it was none of their dad's concern what I do, he could just say I'd rather not talk about it. He said, thank you mommy, I don't like his questions. After the kids went to bed I called the ex idiot and told him questions about me are no longer allowed and he'd better not say a word to the kids about telling me. That was the end of it. Your hubby should talk to the kids about respecting your feelings, but remember, he chose you and dumped her, so don't let them get to you.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 7:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009