Cereal in bottle....

Is 12 weeks to young to put some cereal in the bedtime bottle? Thanks!

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NEVER put cereal in a bottle. It isn't needed and NO, contrary to popular belief, it WILL NOT make your baby sleep through the night. It is dangerous and absolutly not needed. DO NOT EVER put cereal in a bottle.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I agree with the pp
    Cereal should NOT be put in the bottle unless directed by your doctor for acid reflux
    And it doesn't help your baby sleep... they will do that when they are ready to sleep longer
    now, you can start cereal at 4 months... but it's recommended to wait until they are 6 months but is should be given by spoon. If your baby doesn't take it well on a spoon then they are too young to take solids.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• The whole point in cereal is getting them to learn textures of food and how to eat. I wouldn't put it in the bottle either unless the pedi says so. It's not dangerous, they can't choke on it because it will dissolve but it's just not the point.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• You're going to get a ton of different responses. Go with your gut instinct. I put cereal in my son's bottle around that age, with a fast flow nipple so he could drink of it, and not a whole bunch where it was super thick, and he was fine. Try it out and see how it goes. Just make sure you don't make it really thick and have a faster flowing nipple.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Christine, yes, it is dangerous and babies DO choke on cereal everyday. Tell my cousin that babies don't choke on cereal, her 4 month old Eric choked to death on a cereal bottle in May of last year. Cereal will not disolve. It isn't a powder, it is a flake of solids. Babies need nothing excpet breastmilk (formula) for AT LEAST the first 6 months, however, solids aren't even needed untill 12 months or beyond.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I don't think it's a good idea.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• navy wife, sorry for your loss.

A baby can choke if it is made to thick, yes they are flakes and it will dissolves if done properly. I said I wouldn't do unless the pedi says so. We aren't professionals and I don't claim to be so don't call my name out in a post, thank you.

I also started my babies on cereal 6, 5 and 5 months but not in a bottle.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Don't do it. At that age they need full nutrition from formula or the breast. Cereal would put food in their tummy that does nothing toward helping their development, and it would cut back on the nourishment that they need.

Answer by Bmat at 1:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Only do it if your peditrician says too it is very dangerous. My son gets rice cereal in every bottle but it is for his reflux and truthfully he doesn't sleep any better or any worse. Talk to your pediatrician i'm sure they'll explain why you shouldn't do it unless it is necesary (sp?).
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 1:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If your doctor said to do it, no it's not too young. There is obviously a medical reason for it.

If you just want to do it....give cereal early...then just use a spoon and bowl. There's no reason to put it in the bottle.

It's not usually recommended cereal be given until 4-6 months.

The final decision is yours, however. It is a choking hazard, though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009