Failure to thrive; What going on?

My baby is now 6 months and has been on a downward spiral with his weight gain. Last month he stopped eating for no apparent reason, got dehydrated and was admitted to the hospital. They found nothing wrong but gave him an iv and he started eating again so they sent him home. For the next couple weeks he ate alot but did not gain but 2 ounces. Now a month later he's not wanting to eat again. If he doesn't eat he is going to get deyhrated again. Has anyone had this trouble with their baby? Please help.

momofpurebliss

Asked by momofpurebliss at 1:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't agree with that at all either, (about doctors saying that if you dont spend enough quality time with your child they can become failure to thrive.) My daughter has been diagnosed with that since she was 1 month of age. She just wouldn't eat, wouldn't gain weight or anything of the sort. She is now 3 and has feeding intolerance, and oral oversions. She had acid reflux since birth, and it then turned into ulcers, and esphagitis. She has been on medications for this problem since 10 months of age and it has helped tremendoulsy with her weight. She is still very tiny. She is only in the 15 percentile for weight and 20th for height.

Sometimes their is absoultely nothing wrong with the child, when other times it can be something more significant. I would talk to your pediatrician and see what they could do.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My friend did and she didnt find the reason why. Shes a paramedic and tends to work long hours and the doctors said most of the time failure to thrive comes from the child not being held enough or paid attention to enough. I dont think thats true though because shes a very loving mom. I would just call your pediatrician and see if you can give him the child version of ensure along with meals and see what other healthy high fat/fiber/carb foods you can add.
    Anonymous

• "Failure to thrive comes from the child not being held enough or paid attention to enough."

That sounds like a load of bull. My baby boy is my whole world and he def. gets lots of attention from his mommy and daddy.
    As far as giving him more high cal. foods, I can't do that if he refuses to eat everything.
    He's as happy as can be but acts like hes not hungry. IDK.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 2:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• ali 1107: Yes thats whats hard is knowing that is could be nothing at all or something more severe. He has been to his pediatrician and other doctors so much and they are still doing more test. Everytime I start telling myself that he is fine and just going to be little, he gets worse.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 2:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Thats how my daughter was as well.. Just like right now she has been doing great for the past few months, no vomiting or anything! Now for the past 4 days she hasn't eaten anything so I just keep pushing the fluids and then today she started vomiting again, and it was with blood. Which I know their is nothing they can do because it is old blood and not bright red blood. I would just keep pushing the issue. I did this with my daughter, and i'm still trying to find her underlying diagnosis. So far she has Epilepsy, Peri ventricular luekomalcia, High blood pressure, and esphagitis. She may also had Mitochondrial Disease... which we are in the process of determining that one right now. You just need to have a great one on one relationship with your doctors, and call them with everything "new" that happens. Just be the best advocate you possible can for your son. I know its hard to be a bitch at times, but when you want
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I'm back from changing stinky diaper lol. Ok, what is and oral oversions and what kind of food intolerance?
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 2:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• answers, your the only person that can get the doctors on the ball with things! I hope this helped.. I know its a very scary thing to go through, and it is very hard on you and your family.. But you will get through this! Even if your son is malnourished! My daughter still is very malnourished to this day! But as long as they stay on their growth chart then it will be fine! My dd also had to have a G-tube for a year and a half just to keep her weight up since she fell right off of the charts! I will pray for you and your family!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Wow, it sounds like you and your daughter have been through alot. I'm probably just in the beginning of things. I just want my baby to be okay as I am sure you feel the same way about your little girl. Thanks for sharing.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 2:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• a feeding intolerance is when the child has other medical problems involved with the brain and other organs... and an oral aversion is when they refuse to eat anything given to them!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I am sure that they will figure somthing out with your son! It may take time, but sometimes thats how it works! I know how you feel! Believe me it does get better in time. It will just be the normal thing around your house when he doesn't want to eat 2 out of the 3 meals given to him in a day~
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009