Purple? Probably TMI, I'm sure!

Okay, so I'm 37 weeks pregnant and my stomach is way to big for me to see anything "down there". I shaved in the shower this morning and afterwards got out my handy dandy mirror to see how bad the blind hackjob was. Well, the shave wasn't so terrible, but I discovered my vag is the deepest shade of purple I have ever seen! I've been getting what I call "vagina aches" for the past week or so and just figured it was some sort of preparation for the upcoming birth and have ignored them since they go away after half an hour or so anyway. I've never heard of a purple vag though (purple nipples while pregnant, yes, but a purple vag, no!), so I'm wondering if it's normal and if it means anything!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i think your baby is dropping down and the head is pressing on some veins... like when you squeeze your finger hard and it turns purple.. so like lack of circulation? mine did this, but not to purple.. but it was a bit off color.. but he was sitting on my pelvic bone.. his head was under my ribs... i had to have a csection because he would never turn, even when they manipulated him downward
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Thank you, lol, I had no idea if anyone would answer or not, haha! Pregnancy is so full of strange surprises. I go to the OB tomorrow, so I'm going to mention it then as well, but it shocked me so much this morning I figured I'd ask on here since I didn't want to be the moron who called the hospital asking if her purple vag was normal if it was no big deal, lol!
    Anonymous

• Ive never heard of a purple va jay jay.. Definately mention it to your ob tomorrow..that doesnt sound normal...im so glad im not the only one who has to do blind hack jobs these days.lol..i dont remember it being that difficult with my other 2.lol GL..and out of curiosity, could you let us know what the dr says about why its purple?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• mine never got purple, but it was a lot darker than usual.
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Haha, va jay jay, eh?

Mine has been fine thus far, so it's the dramatic change all of a sudden that stirred me. I'm hoping it's just a sign that this baby is coming soon or something. I asked my husband if he remembered what it looked like when I was actually in labor with my son and he said he thinks it was darker then too, but can't remember. I'm sort of glad, as it probably wasn't my vag's most shining moment, lol.
    Anonymous

• Doc said it was just the pressure from the baby sitting so low for so long now. It's causing some swelling and discoloration, but it's normal. Doesn't look like it, lol, but it is.
    Anonymous