SAHM and tired of sandwiches, soups, salads for lunch. What do you eat for lunch?

I'm about to go grocery shopping and I need some ideas.

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 2:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• When I have leftovers from supper, I divide them up into individual portions that I freeze. Especially if there are just a serving or two left, I do this. Then when I want a single serving I heat it in the microwave and actually have a nice meal for lunch. I get tired of the sandwich thing, too.

Answer by Bmat at 2:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• We do the same:( Oh and don't forget the mac n cheese! Sorry not very helpful.
    Anonymous

• Lunch?  What's that?

Okay, I usually have a pot of chicken and rice in the fridge (with garlic pepper, soy sauce and sesame oil) that I eat out of all week. Or else ramen noodles, which I cook in plain water, drain completely, and put soy sauce on to eat. Last night I made lasagna roll-ups, so I will be lunching off those some this week.   And when I have potatoes, sometimes I bake one of those.  You could also look into making different types of burritos...my kids love them, and I make them with different bean and spice combos, fold them and use a George Foreman grill to heat them.  They can also be frozen and then Georged.  (Yes, George is a verb now...here, anyway, although actually we call it Greg.)   You might look into different breads to brighten up your sandwiches, like pita pockets, or for recipes for international "sandwiches" like gyros and stuff.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I like easy homemade pizzas. Take some single serving sized pizza crusts, top with pizza sauce, and have a variety of toppings such as pepperoni, bacon bits, chopped tomatoes, onions, peppers, canned pineapple tidbits, etc, whatever you normally eat on your pizza. Top it with whatever toppings you want, sprinkle with mozzarella and a bit of Italian seasoning or pizza seasoning, and pop in the oven til the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Yummy, different, and healthy.

We also like making spaghetti (actually we use angel hair) by browning a quarter cup of butter and some minced garlic in a pan and add a tablespoon or so of good olive oil, then top the pasta with the sauce (if you have shrimp or chicken already cooked, you can add it to the sauce just before putting it on the pasta). Another good pasta dish that 's easy is to sautee some vegetables (we like onions, green peppers, garlic and cherry tomato halves) CONT
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• in a quarter cup of really good light olive oil, pour over the pasta and add some fresh basil or parsley. All of those take very little time, are healthy, and fairly inexpensive and kid friendly.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Starkist has those new Tuna/Salmon Creations. They are a packet of tuna (or salmon) which have seasonings. I just used the tuna with the herbs and garlic. I put it in a bowl, added one sliced (skinny) green onion and one baby carrot (sliced into sticks). Mixed this up, put half in the middle of a flour tortilla, added shredded mozarella cheese, and microwaved for less than a minute. Rolled it up and wa-la! Tasted pretty good too.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 5:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009