What was the hardest adjustment for you first time moms?

I am bringing home my first baby girl next week after I am induced on Monday and I am just wondering what you all think is the hardest part of having a new baby. I do plan to breast feed if it works out for me so that could be it...from what I hear its challenging.

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 2:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The hardest thing for me was getting enough sleep. I breastfed so I was up constantly with my daughter. My Hubby couldn't get up with her to feed her of course so it was on me. I was so tired. Everytime she slept I was right there with her though! lol. Good luck with the new baby!
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 2:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• i had my son on the 4th, and im a single mom, so its all been challenging for me. breast feeding is hard, i planned on it, but he wasnt getting enough, so i started the bottle until my milk came in, when it came in i was engorged...bad. they were like cantaloupes! and so swollen the lymph nodes in my armpits were swollen too.

other than that experience i think ive adjusted really well. its hard being the only one to do the diapers, feedings, and baths, but i love every minute of it.

just be patient, im very lucky to have such a good baby, but sometimes i just need to get away, and dont be afarid to ask for help, or to pass the baby to someone else so you can get a few minutes to collect yourself if you are feeling too stressed.
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Trying to function on a minimal amount of sleep. That was really hard for me because I get really cranky and frusturated when I don't sleep enough.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• and good luck!
    walkthisway522

• Breastfeeding can be hard... but knowing it's not always easy makes it better. Just know that it gets easier. It actually took my me and my son 6 weeks before we had it down really well... but now at 7 months it's going great!
    The second hardest part is adjusting to not sleeping... and the sleep habits change every month!
    Being a mommy is great! I love it! I'm getting all teary thinking about it LOL
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• as long as you know you are not going to get 8-hours of sleep you will be fine. For me the hardest thing is when the baby cries and you have done everything. When this happens, Put the baby in his crib close the door and walk away for a few minutes.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• The lack of sleep was the hardest thing. After that it would be the sudden lack of adult company. I worked until a week before the baby was born, and I looked forward to being a SAHM, But we had only one car, that my husband took to work, and I was pretty much stuck at home. I loved being a mom and loved my baby, but now that I look back on it, it was a lonely life, and I should have either arranged that we had a second car, or have paid for a taxi to get me out. At the time I thought it was what being a SAHM was all about, but now I'm not so sure.

Answer by Bmat at 2:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I think for me it was just dealing with a baby 24/7! I mean I literally went from sitting at home sleeping and watching TV all day ( after I stopped working) to dealing with a fussy baby all day and going crazy from not knowing what he wanted. I was at home alone while my husband was at work and I had no clue what I was doing. All I knew was how to feed him and change his diaper and there's so much more to it than that! Good luck and congrats though. I will tell you it got MUCH easier!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Waking up all hours of the night is a huge pain in the ass. But that's what happens with a new baby, and if you're breastfeeding expect to be up every 2 - 4 hours.
    Anonymous

• Being stuck at home playing goo goo ga ga sucks too, I eventually resented my husband for "getting" to go to work.
    Anonymous