IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO BUY ONE OF THOSE FETAL DOPPLER,I JUST WANT TO HEAR MY BABY HEART BEAT!!

BABY312

Asked by BABY312 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I personally have one, I bought it on ebay brand new for $35 total with shipping which was better than spending close to $100 plus shipping....they are nice to have, but I wouldn't recommend using them on a regular basis, a lot of people advise against using them too often. But for those times when you get really worried...like when you haven't felt a movement in a really long time, they can be very reassuring.
    Anonymous

• If you are handy with a stethoscope you can use one of those later on in pregnancy if you don't want to use the doppler.
    Anonymous

• I'm going to say no. What happens if you try and hear the heart beat and the baby moves too much and you don't hear the heart beat? What if baby is a odd position ad you do not hear the heart beat? Is that going to help you feel better or worse? I stated those two things because every time I have gone to the OB. they check for a heart beat, and I have had to get a ultra sound done every time to see what is going on. I'm 16 weeks.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 2:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I've heard not to because you will become obsessed with constantly trying to listen for your babies heart beat. That will cause more stress than just asking God to watch over your precious one.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 2:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yes and no. It depends on your personality and the skill you will have using one (and the quality of the one that you get). While prayer and trusting God are of course beneficial because everything is in his hands anyway, it doesn't mean that scientific instruments can't also be his way of allowing us to know when something is wrong and getting help. If it will ease your mind to let you know your baby is OK, then yes, get one. It is said that testing the HR daily is better than counting kicks. A notice in reduction of kicks lets you know a problem has already occurred. A lower than normal HR can let you know a problem is ABOUT to occur. HOWEVER; if you will freak out every time you can't find the HR, only causing you more stress and panic (which isn't healthy for you or the baby), I would refrain from getting one. Also, the cheaper the model, the less likely it will work well. Mine was about $150 I think?

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2009