Is it nessessary

Is preschool really necessary? My daughter should start in the fall but i really dont know if i want to send her I dont see the point of it i can teach her all the things she would learn there here at home. And it really hasnt taught my niece anything? And how many of you have pre-k kids at home and not in pre-k and why

aubrees_mommie

Asked by aubrees_mommie at 2:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This subject is a big deal to me. We had our oldest in day care since she was 1 of course she went to pre-k and then kindergarten. I don't think any child needs pre-k. If they are having difficulties socially then you should try putting your child in some type of extra curriculer activity such as dance or a sport like soccer. To me prek or day care is is basiclly you paying someone to watch your child. Too expensive and a waste of money.
    sweetkennedy3

Answer by sweetkennedy3 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Pre K is not necessary,unless your daughter is having trouble socially, that could help her there. She will be going to school enough when Kindergarten starts(13 years) and then on to college if she wants too.You sure can teach her what she needs to know before Kindergarten. I did that with my 2 and they did very well in school.Some people like sending them to preschool, I personally did not.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yes and no. Parents are the children's first and last teacher. You can teach her everything but she learns how to social with the others. She learns how to follow the rules in school, how to play with other children, how to solve the problem etc... You can't teach her just between you and her.

My son went to preschool for 7 months before kinder, and that's all he needs. i find out how he acts and solves problem in school. It is very helpful for you and your future kinder's teacher. They will want to know how your daughter does in a group of children, how well she follows direct and rules. How independent she is on finishing her tasks.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I think it depends on the kid. Some kids do a lot better with preschool. They learn to socialize and they learn what is expected of them in a classroom setting. There are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule, but I work with kindergarteners in an after school program, and I speak with their daytime teachers daily. The first 2-3 months I can spot the difference between the kids who attended pre-K and those who didn't within 10 minutes of working with them. Like I said, there are ALWAYS exceptions, but most of the time the difference is clear.

Think rationally about your child. Can she sit still and listen the way she will be expected to in kindergarten? Is she comfortable playing with other kids her age? Those things are what pre-K is about. Anyone can teach ABC's and counting, but classroom skills and socialization aren't things that always come naturally.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 2:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It is deffinantly helpful for all those social skills. Unless you have at least 3-5 children around her for 3-5 hours a day you really might want to re-think. Also, most studies show that children who do attend a QUALITY preschool are more likely to go to college, to do better in elementry and high school, and make better over all life choices. You might want to sit through a couple different preschools for a full day and see what kind of things they are teaching in your area. It's not all academics. In my DS preschool they also talk about feelings and how to read those feelings by a persons face.They learn about weather, and math, and letters, and animals. There are many things you may not be able to expose your child too without the Pre-school setting. If all the preschools in your area are not that of QUALITY it would be better to keep your daughter at home.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I put my daughter in Pre-K because it will give her the chance to learn proper classroom behavior before she goes to a full day kindergarten. Her preschool is only 8-1030 M-F. For most kids, suddenly starting off in full day kindergarten, especially if they spend all their time with mom, is going to be a big shock. I think it is easing her into it, letting her know what is going to be expected of her when she does go to kindergarten.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My son never went to preschool. We had moved and couldn't afford it because there were only 2 options in our town...private and Head Start. We made too much money for Head Start (even with 6 people in the family) and we sure couldn't afford $4000-$8000 a year for preschool (that's like several months salary). So my son never went. His first day of school was the day he stepped into the kindergarten classroom.
    He's doing okay but struggling to read but I think he would be struggling even if he had gone to preschool. He's just not a strong reader.
    I don't think it's necessary but it can be beneficial for some/many kids. We sent our mid. daughter because she was terrified to be away from me. She was 5 when she started (last January) and cried the whole first day then got used to it. I can only imagine her reaction to starting full day kindy if she hadn't had that experience earlier in the year.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I have been a preschool special needs teacher for 20 years and I have seen preschool programs change in the philosophy, curriculum and purpose. I have always felt it was a great way to prepare children for the next stage in school, especially children who are delayed. Back when I started, Kindergarten had academics in the morning and playtime in the afternoon. They also had rest time. Now Kindergarten is completely academic in our state. It is what 1st grade used to be. They do not have playtime and some schools do not have recess! They have a 90 minute reading block and a math block also. Children have to sit longer and there is no rest time or only for the first month or so. In answer to your question, I think it is now necessary for children to attend at least 1 year of preschool to learn to follow directions and attend to a task, cooperate in groups with their peers, (continued next post)
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I don't think it's necessary. In fact, "early enrollment" is tough on alot of kids too. What's the rush? Do we all think we're going to produce Doogie Houzers? Kids need the security of home far more than the early push to a group classroom.
    I homeschooled my kids, but didn't start "formal bookwork" until 6 years old.
    My mother sent me to kindergarden when I just barely turned 4. Way too early. I was way too young to graduate high school and think about going out into the big world.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• and learn the pre-readiness skills needed to "take off" in Kindergarten. Do I think that it is inappropriate for kids to be pushed so much? YES!, but that is what the states are requiring. Kids who do not attend a pre school are at a disadvantage compared to their peers who did go to pre-k.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2009