Is it possible my due date may be wrong?

I've had "normal" sized babies in the past (7lb 10 oz & 8lb 1 oz) and never "measured big". When they would measure my fundal height, I was always exact (ie: 34 weeks, 34 cm). I just went to the Dr. on Friday, and she had trouble figuring out where to listen for his heartrate, since its seems he's on BOTH sides, not just one... my whole tummy was hard. She measured me, and while I should have been 33 1/2, I measured 36.

Add this to the pressure and lots of ctx (they FEEL real enough) I kinda think they might be a tad off on my EDD. What do you think? Should I go ahead and pack my bag?

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Of course your due date might be wrong. Unless they/you know exactly when you ovulated you can go 2 weeks either way. In fact, with my cousin, they said her due date was February 20 something. then changed it to March 11th. ...But now she's 4 cm dialated and has been having contractions. Her first due date was probably right.
    anyways, unless they or you know the exact date of your ovulation its all guess work.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• That's really not that big, just a couple of cm off. Is this the same doctor who usually measures you? Your baby could have had a growth spurt or was in a different position. You had a contraction, that can be caused by baby moving inside.
    Because it's not your first baby, it would seem normal to feel bigger preparing & warming-up stuff earlier on.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• The gestational age of an unborn baby is best determined by looking at a number of different factors. If you combine an accurate date of the last menstrual period with a first-trimester pelvic exam, fundal measurement (from the pubic bone to the top of the uterus), date of "quickening," and a fetal heart tone, then confirm these findings with a first-trimester ultrasound, you'll end up with a due date that is still only 85 percent accurate, plus or minus 14 days. Second-trimester ultrasounds tend to be inaccurate by plus or minus 8 days, and third-trimester ultrasounds by a whopping 22 days.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• EDD's are just that, they're estimated. There is always a chance that they could be wrong. I measured much larger than I should have any my DS ended up coming 5 days late. He was just a big baby lol. You're on your third, so this baby will probably be the biggest as that is how it tends to work. Your EDD might be slightly off, but your baby might be bigger than the others were as well. With my 9.5-pounder, I had a lot of uncomfortable labor symtoms towards the end too, not because I was closer to labor, but because he was just big and pushing on everything. I think anyone over 30 weeks should have their bag packed personally, especially if it isn't the first delivery they've had.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Since it's always possible to go into labor early and have a preemie - it can't hurt to have your bag packed at this point.
    From what I've read, the due dates calculated in the first trimester tend to be more accurate since babies are all about the same size at that point. As the pregnancy continutes, different babies grow and develop at slightly different rates which can throw off "size-based" due date calculations.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yeah, I know... I just feel "finished". They won't let me go any earlier than 37 weeks, unless my water breaks... but you know how it goes - the pregnancy is GREAT and all until you hit the last 6-8 weeks then you're miserably counting down the hours until your due date... *Sigh* Its just wishful thinking.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009