Chewing

My two week old has started chewing instead of sucking durring breastfeeding. It started as only a little bit and has grown to her doing it through the entire feeding. Not only is it hurtful and annoying but she also gets less milk when she does it. Any ideas on why she's doing it and how to stop it?

Deathlilly

Asked by Deathlilly at 2:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oooh OUCH! I would see if a lactation specialist can help you.
    She might have her tounge in the wrong place... up on the top of her mouth or pulled way back... and you might need to re-teach her how to suck... and lactation could show you how to teach her.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I have no idea why they do it or how to make it stop. But I wanted to let you know you aren't alone. My daughter did it from day 1. The nurses in the hospital nicknamed her "Barricuda". Every nurse had a different "helpful" suggestion. One of those suggestions needed 2 other adults - and still didn't work. By 4 days old, I was sobbing whenever she started to fuss and want to eat.

My only suggestion is to contact a breastfeeding consultant NOW. Don't ask your doctor, don't ask the L&D nurses. Ask someone who solves nursing problems for a living. You can find them in the phone book or your L&D department may have a list of numbers they can give you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• OP here

Hmmmm......I was looking at her tongue and I saw white spots so I'm thinking maybe she has thrush and it hurts her to just suck but I'm not sure
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 3:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Thrush

SIGNS:

Baby: The baby can become infected during vaginal birth or while breastfeeding. Signs of infection often appear 2-4 weeks after birth and include small, white patches in the mouth (thrush) and a bright, red rash in the diaper area.

Sounds like it is thrush . . ouch.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2009