I am trying to breast pump exclusively to feed my daughter and begin storing it, but I can't seem to keep any back to start storing. Will my production ever increase? (I pump 2-4 oz every 3 to 4 hours)

Kyla79

Asked by Kyla79 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From what i have read pumping actually decreases the amount of milk you make. If you breast feed it will should go back to normal. ...but pumping exculisvely doesnt not USUALLY work for most woman for a long period of time.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• a pump is artifical.. and the nursing motion of a babies mouth cant be copied... and when her mouth moves that causes the milk to flow.. a pump will only do so much without her nursing on you.. in the begining.. we did great, and then the more i used the pump the less i produced.. so i stopped pumping, unless i felt myself leaking and then i would pump.. but it was my sons mouth that got everything going.. but eventually i lost my milk when he was about 4 months.. you can try fenugreek, mothers milk tea, or raspberry leaf tea, or something that will bring on the milk, but it doesnt help all moms... earthmamaangelbaby.com makes a milk tea, it helped me for a while..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• yeah, i have heard the same thing. i had to just pump for a while cuz i had an infection and it hurt too much for evan to eat on my right breast, and I noticed while i didnt have him eating on it and i was just pumping, i started getting less and less
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 2:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Since the pump is less efficient than a baby, you have to work even harder to exclusively pump.
    There's an "exclusively pumping" group here on Cafemom who'll be able to help you out.

Start eating lots of oatmeal, taking fenugreek until you smell like maple syrup, drink lots of water, and pump more often than every 3-4 hours.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• if I were you and you want to store milk...drink a lot of water. 10-12 8 oz glasses a day. Then breastfeed your baby on demand say she eats every 4 hours, let her eat off your breast and then in between feedings pump...like 2 hours after she eats...try to pump. You might not get a lot at first...but eventually it will tell you to produce more milk and you will have a lot. When I first had my son I did this and I had so much milk it dripped out and I had to keep breast pads on all the time. Now, without a pump I have none to store so I really need to get a pump asap! the manual ones just aren't doing me any good.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Try taking Fenugreek seed. I took 2 capsules every 8 hours when my supply would start to get lax. Take if for a few weeks then go off for a few weeks then start again. http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It wouldn't let me make that a link above and then wouldn't let me add more to my comment...hmmm... Anyway Another good thing to try would be to put husband on feeding duty and you spend a day every now and then doing a 'false growth spurt' You on a supply and demand system so system so the more you demand the more you will make.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I don't really understand why you would want to pump instead of breastfeed. I do not mean to put you down at all, I just don't understand. Pumping takes a lot of time (and sometimes even pain), for very little reward. You will never be able to pump all the milk you have because pumps can not do what a baby does. So you will be decreasing how much your body makes every time you pump. This is not something that you will be able to continue for an entire year without supplemental feedings. If you have any breastfeeding questions, please feel free to pm me.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It is possible to pump exclusively if that is what you want or need to do. You CAN pump enough to meet your baby's needs. The more you pump the more milk you will make. Try pumping every 2-3 hours for a couple of days and see if that brings your supply up. Also try Power Pumping see: http://lowmilksupply.org/powerpumping.shtml

It is handy to have some milk stored, but keep this in mind: Your milk has the highest level of antibodies when your baby takes it directly from your breast, and is second-best when it is freshly pumped. The longer it is stored, the more of these antibodies are deactivated. Freezing destroys even more antibodies. (Your frozen milk still provides excellent nutrition and protection for your baby, just not as good as directly from the breast or freshly pumped.)

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If you're going to pump exclusively, you need to increase the frequency. Every two hours waking, every three after bedtime.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009