I have a 15 month old who is a very pickey eater and am having a hard time finding foods that he might like any ideas?

He hates meats I think its the texture mostly I seem to be feeding him the same things all the time I am very frustrated I am also giving him some carnation instant breakfast does that sound okay to give a 15 month old I am just worried he isnt getting enough nutrients

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is the same age and I am having the same problem. I have discovered that she likes her food cold. She will turn down anything but then eat it later when it's cold. It's weird. Also, I hide her food in mashed potatos, yogurt, rice cereal, applesauce or pudding. ( she is underweight so I am not worried about fat or calories here). I also add extra milk to her food and butter. The doctor also told me to let her eat what she wants. If she wants pudding.. give her pudding. If she wants cold pizza then give it to her. Like I said she is underweight and I don't know what your situation is but that's what she said. I work with dietitians and they suggested carnation instant breakfast or adding powdered milk to her milk for extra calories. There is also boost pudding for extra bulk too. I try not to make a big deal out of it. I ask her what she wants, offer her two things and then if she doesn't eat, I try again later.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Kids need to have foods re-introduced to them several times. Whatever you give him try to make sure that he at least takes one bit before he can be finished. My son tried to tell me that he didnt like tomattoes. but after repeated exposure he changed his mind. The only consistant thing that he doesnt like is pickles and i STILL try to sneak those in every once in a while. lol. And it's not a big deal if he doesnt like meat as long as he's getting his protein else where. Does he like beans?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• This age is tricky. Just make him take one bite of each thing on his plate before he can be done. Every child is entitled to not like some things but when the list is long it is ridiculous. Just keep trying to give him new stuff and he will eventually learn to like it. Don't give in to the "I want ....." or you are setting yourself up for trouble. Food is the first battle that kids learn that they can manipulate parents on and you don't want to loose this one. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Just reading an article in Parenting mag talking about picky eaters. We think they are not getting nutrients, but they are. At 15 mos, ours would only eat salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, fruit of all kinds, and gerber Mac & cheese. I am pretty sure I saw him eat a green bean once. LOL! We tried a zillion things. At 2, he's added popcorn chicken and bread. He does really eat more than that, but I too focus on the fact that it SEEMS like it's the same old stuff. As long as you are hitting all the food groups "in a 1-2 week period" according to the article (not even daily) then you are doing good! I don't want food to be a battle, he's eats good at what he does eat, in other words, he's a healthy growing boy. As long as your little one is gaining weight, don't worry too much. PS-Ours eats different things in cycles depending on his teething. Sometimes harder texture is OK, other times, mashy stuff. Good luck to you!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• PS-The carnation instant breakfast is probably OK to give him, just remember that if he fills up on that, he won't be hungry for food. When ours fills up on milk or juice, I notice the food intake is alot less. But if you are worried about weight gain, etc, check with your doctor. My niece lived on milk and my sister would give her Ensure to make sure she had good nutrients, but didn't expect her to eat too much after that.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Wow! I have been reading all of your answer and I have learned alot, so I have been doing the right thing all this time. The breakfast carnation meal I am going to try.. thanks ladies this helps alot...
    jay2

Answer by jay2 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My DD is PICKY ALOT ! she will eat something one day and the next not touch it for weeks then will eat it again out of the blue at a meal then won't eat it again for weeks. just keep trying .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 4:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would just keep trying different foods with the little one my son is picky some days he will eat almost anything other days nothing at all. I found at that age he would eat more finger foods because he wanted to feed himself. g/l
    Anonymous