Would you take your kids to the beach?

Okay it's like 55 degrees out here which I know sounds nice to some of you but I went for a walk on the beach today where it was really cloudy and windy and there was a little girl maybe 2-3 years old in nothing but a bikini bottom playing in the water. I thought her parents were nuts! Would you let your kid play in the ocean in weather like this??? Or am I just a crazy Californian???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Maybe they were from out of town.

Answer by gemgem at 2:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yeah I get that but isn't it still a little cold? That's why I'm asking.
    Anonymous

• It depends on how the water felt to be honest with you. 55 degrees isn't really that cold but it might feel like 35 degrees along the shoreline. I am from the beach and have gone swimming as late as November and sometimes into Dec and Jan in a wetsuit. For a little kid though...if it was really that cold out, I probably would not have had her in the water when it was that cold. Little bodies cool down and heat up much faster than big bodies do. Being too cold can lower your immune system and leave you suseptible to hypothermia. So, if it was really that cold down there, no I wouldn't have done it. I wasn't there, so I really can't tell if it was appropriate or not. If it was absolutely freezing, I doubt the little girl would be playing happily. I hated being cold, even at 2, and would let you know about it if I was lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If they were from up north then the weather may have seemed like beach weather. My mom said growing up in Northern Michigan that when the highs were in the 40's they were swimming in the lakes.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Nopperrs! I wouldn't let my daughter in the water when its only 55* outside!
    mommybella

Answer by mommybella at 3:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• You must live in SoCal. I live up on the NorthCoast, and our average temp is 60'. So yeah, probably would go to the beach when its 55', and like mentioned above it isn't the air temp but rather the water temp that would be my deciding factor on going in or not.

However, at 55' I would not have my toddler in a bikini bottom with nothing else on. Maybe some shorts and a T-Shirt with a dry pair on standby.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• They could be from much farther north. TO some that would be really cold, to others not so much. At that age I could go out in weather like that not flinch!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• No and I'm from Chicago. It would have to be closer to 80 for me to let my kids play at the beach.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I'm currently living in SC but when I lived in Jersee we went to the beach in 30 degree weather. : ) However we did go the other day and it was in the high 60s but the wind was cold to walk the beach and such. The dog dragged my son face first into a tide pool and most of us were in shorts and hoodies. But yeah a child that young shouldn't have been wearing just a suit and playing in the water.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Wow! Nope would not let my children out in only a bikini bottom when it's only 55 degrees out!! I agree with you. Way too cold!
    LisaPW1008

Answer by LisaPW1008 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009