Do kids outgrow their picky eating phase?

My DS has always been a great eater. Then around 2 he started becoming much more picky and saying everything is "akey" (sp?). I won't give up fruits and veggies with him. I still offer them to him constantly and make him taste them before he can get up. I was just wondering if this can be a phase and when will it end?

mazonmom

Asked by mazonmom at 3:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• For some kids it can be a phase but I have an adult cousin who to this day will only eat chicken fingers and potato chips. Making him at least taste a food is a good way to go.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I was a very picky eater and now Im not at all. However my dh is and always has been according to mil and so is skid.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 3:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• when i was little i would eat fruits and veggies and side such as ketchup, and around kindergarden or a little sooner than that. I stopped. I am Meat and cheese only, no sides what so ever, potatoes and corn and apples only. no dipping sauces nothing. I am 23 years old now and i really dont think that it will change. My son i offer him everything that i dont eat but sometimes its a loose loose big mess situation
    mhillaryann

Answer by mhillaryann at 3:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• mhillaryann that is what I'm afraid of. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, so I am hoping that by watching me and constantly being offered the foods he will get out of this stage. But I guess you never know!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I didn't out grow it till my 20's lol. I have one who is very picky and my other two will eat anything.

Anonymous

• My oldest she will be 6 in a few days we just got custody of her a few months ago and we are still trying to figure out what she likes cause one time she will like it then the next she wont. She will sit there and not eat her dad will offer her something else and she wont answer I do not play the guessing game either they eat or they dont at her age.

My 2 year old will eat alot of things i wont but he also doesnt like side dressings and some veggies but i was able to get him to eat fruit and this is how. He loves his ball and everytime he sees something in the shape of a ball he wants it food including. grapes, strawberries sliced banannas , fried mushrooms, fried oakra sp?, popcorn shrimp, anything in the shape of a ball is very easy to get him to eat. even sliced up fruit in squars to him they still look like a ball.
    mhillaryann

Answer by mhillaryann at 4:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• my youngest is 7 months old she eats what you give her lol
    mhillaryann

• Thanks for the ball tip. That is a great idea. My DS loves balls too. I'll try it!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• yes and no. Depends on the kid.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I'm 30 and I never grew out of my phase! I'm a terribly picky eater and I have to remember to feed my children things I don't like - I always forget to give them things like mustard and ketchup.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2009