Is it really too early to take my 19 month old off his bottle?

Yesterday my son went and took a capri sun out of the box. I took it away from him and told him he couldn't drink it but he started crying. So i opened it put the straw in and gave it back. I told him to go ahead and drink it ( i thought he couldnt). He started blowing on it (HAHA) and then he accidently sipped it and he drunk the whole thing! So i decided that if he can sip from a straw there is no need for the bottle anymore. He's not too fond of his sippy cup but he loves the capri sun because I always drink them. I told my family my "GREAT IDEA" and they immediately started yelling "Oh no don't do that to him. He's too young!" He'll be two in july Is he really too young or should i just go on my terms and do what i want? I don't want him to have messed up teeth

jjsmommi5

Asked by jjsmommi5 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• IMO-he should have came off the bottle around 12-15 months. So, I think that he's too old to be on the bottle. What do you put in it?

He should be taking fluids in a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

• i think it time to take him off the bottle hes almost two its not to early
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Taking away the bottle should have been done 7 mos ago. Babies should be off the bottle by one.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Your family have a funny idea about what's normal and necessary.

Bottles should be taken away soon after the first year - when the baby has learned to drink from a sippy/straw or open cup.
    Anonymous

• Kaylee is already at 9 months on her way to being weened from the bottle...

Go buy those cups that have the straws in them if he doesn't like sippy cups. I bought a 4 pack at Costco the other day.

I think that if you are ready, and he is ready, to give up the bottle completely, then let him be a big boy and drink from a cup!! Its never too early, so long as they are drinking their fluids it doesnt matter what they are drinking it out of.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I agree with the first response.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I totally agree with the above postings- bottle should be long gone....
    BUt at the same time- is Capri Sun really the best option for him? THey do make a juice form- but still- milk is best. Watch how much sugar he's getting!
    And- if he likes straws- they make straw sippy cups- so if that is what he likes- get him one of those!
    Anonymous

• IMO,,,,, Babies should be taken off the bottle,,, starting at 12months old. When they can hold a bottle by themselves really good. Time for the sippy or a regular cup.

Answer by louise2 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• 19 mos is not too young to be taken off a bottle. Do it now before it becomes a security to him. Babies should be off a bottle by the time they are 1 year old. At that age they are more than capable of drinking from a sippy cup if not a reg cup, and letting them have a bottle longer can result in it becoming just an item of security, a habit that will be hard to break. They say babies as young as 6-8 mos should be introduced to a sippy cup and starting to wean from a bottle. Don't worry about what your family says, they aren't gonna be the ones listening to and dealing with all the screaming and crying that's gonna go on if you wait till your son is 2 or older and you take the bottle away then. Really, start taking it away now. you'll be so glad you did. Best wishes!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2009