What causes cats to get bladder infections?

My 6 year old male cat has had problems with them for a year and a half and now I think my 3 year old female is having problems. I'm calling the vet first thing tomorrow to schedule another appointment.

What could be causing this? There's nothing I hate more than stuffing my cats into cat carriers to take them to a place they consider hell. Then having to come home and administer meds 2 times a day for 10 days. I can't catch them! They lose all trust in me and hide! Their pans are cleaned DAILY and we have 3 pans for 2 cats.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Pets

• Ask the vet about lower ash food and about what kind of food they should be getting. When I buy cat food I study how much ash it has and pick the lowest ash. Those infections are so painful. We had to give one of our cats medication all her life because she kept getting the infections. I hope your kitties feel better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 3:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I love cats and have had them all my life (42 years). I think you might be giving them food that is bothering them. Try changing their diet after the infection is cleared up. I know some kitty food has too much ash and can cause problems. If you feed too much fish type flavors, it's bad for them.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 3:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I just read on a website to feed them wet food and avoid dry food as much as possible. Is that right? Growing up we had cats all the time and all we ever fed them was dry food. My mom used to think wet food would give them diarhea? Is there a specific brand that is best?

Also, I've been researching and lots of people have chosen a homeopathic treatment for the UTI rather than antibiotics. It says that antibiotics can actually do more harm than good in lowering their immune systems and making them more prone to getting infections.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• IDK, but I think they can get them from the litter too, when they use the litterbox there urethra gets close to the bacteria filled litterbox, the bacteria can travel up the urethra and into the bladder.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I know Royal Canin is a very high quality food. They have dry and wet available. We got ours at Petsmart. I think you can find it at Petco also.
    As for not eating wet food, I think one can a day and the rest being dry will be fine. My kitties had wet food for dinner and dry the rest of the day and never had a problem.

Antibiotics kill all bacteria, including the good bacteria in the intestines that help with digestion. For people on antibiotics, doctors recommend eating yogurt. I'd ask the doctor prescribing the antibiotic for something made just for cats to add back the good bacteria.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 4:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Stones or crystals you should have the vet do a urinalysis
    melissam21

Answer by melissam21 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If they get chronic 'infections' i would concider changing their food to something organic. Also, giving them bottled water. And, most of all, MAKE SURE IT IS INFECTIONS THEY HAVE. A lot of times they can have a chronic cystitis (red blood cells but no white blood cells,meaning no infection.) Vets treat with antibiotics becasue a lot of them dont know what else to do, even though there is no reason to. Its a pretty frustrating and misunderstood disease, but there are things that can be done to treat symptoms. PM me if you want to know more.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 9:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2009