my 2 1/2 yr old...

how exactly do i accomplish time out at this age?? i tell her to sit on her bed and as soon as i turn around, shes out..my 3 yr old thinks she can do the same too, but i have a little better grip on her.

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 3:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A fantastic article on 'time out's'. -- http://www.awareparenting.com/timeout.htm
    Bit of an eye-opener.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 3:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• You just keep putting them back. over and over and over again. remain consistant. it may take an hour. it may take 3 hours. But once you get them to realize that you mean business they will stay almost every time.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• thanks
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I checked out that link. And i'm sorry but ...I DONT WANT TO BE AROUND MY CHILD WHEN HE IS DISOBEYING AND I WILL NOT LISTEN TO HIM IF HE CANT ACT AS HE IS SUPPOSED TO. and that is how the real world is. Time outs are just as much for the parent as they are for the child. And it needs to be used along with other tools. My 3yo DS does deep breathing. And we TALK about how he feels and how i feel AFTER i get him out of time out. it's not like you just stick them there and then that's it. Time outs will only work if done correctly.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I think all you can do is keep trying it. My son didn't really get it until recently, when he turned 3. Even when I would tell him its just two minutes, I will tell you when that is up, he would just get back up, adding more and more time on until it was frustrating for me. Now that he is a little older, you can just tell him go sit and don't get up until I tell you and he will. Even when I forget, get busy, he is still sitting quiet for a long time.....though he's craning his neck with wide eyes like remember me, can I get up soon, please.. I HOPE!
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• when i Can effectively put her in time out we DO talk about it afterwards..time outs definately wouldnt work if i didnt explain to her why i put her there and how it effects the both of us. she's just being a stubborn 2 yr old. lol
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Time starts over when you move out of time out! Be consistant if she has to stay there for and hour or two. She needs to get the message that you are the parent! Me and my daughter have been around and around about this and now her 4 have gotten the idea. They will thank you someday for this I promise you.
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 4:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• All kids are stubborn at any age! They need consistant punishment and an explanation as to why they are being punished, not bribery or sympathy. You will be a better parent for making your kids respect the rules. Good luck Honey!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 4:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• thanks for the answers! coke2pep, lol...she Has been in time out for an hour or 2..and still doesnt want to get it.lol..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009