Help I am afraid if my 13 month old doesn't stop eating so much she is going to be 300 pounds lol no seariously though help me please.

Ok the reason I am worried is because my DH is overwight he is cloes to 300 pounds. His whole intire family is overweight while my whole family is real thin. My almost 4 yr old at her age was pretty thin. She is 30 inches and 22 pounds that was at 12 months. She is chunky everyone tells me that she is going to be more like her father I tell them not to tell me that. But the thing is she eats all the time. Like 2 days ago for BF she had some toast she ate 4 pieces and wanted more, but I wouldn't give her more. She has a bag of something and my 4 yr old tries to get some she takes off running and screams if she has to share it. She is always hungry. I know they say at that age they can't over eat, but I am afraid they can bc she doesn't stop until you put a stop to her. She eats more than me. A good thing I guess is she eats all her dinner or whatever you give her. What should I do????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with the first two answers but also, you dont want to be feeding her all day long. Eating HABITS are just as important as WHAT you eat. It's not healthy to eat all day long, even if the food is healthy. Teach her that there are times for eating. My DS is big for his age too. 90th percent for hight and wieght. But i dont let him get over weight because we feed him healthy food and scheduled meals and snack times. and remember a snack ...is a SNACK. not a meal.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Ok, first off. Lets look at your choices on what your feeding her. Toast-its not very nurishing-its not going to hold her till lunch.

Stay AWAY from the empty calorie carbs-these are horrible for growing kids. Eggs or a protein for breakfast can help keep them full. Fresh fruit for snacks.

Sounds like she is not getting full and its time to assess what it is that she's eating and try different foods.
    Anonymous

• Simple. Feed her however much she needs - but only healthy foods.

Carrot sticks, fruit chunks, celery, cucumber etc - all great snacks, and she can eat however much she wants.
    Don't stop her eating when she is hungry, just give her foods that are healthy and she can fill up on.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Feed her only healthy things. No junk, no snacks. Make snacks veggies, i.e. Carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, ect.

I do agree that you can't over feed a baby, and I understand your concern, but my daughter is 9 months old, weighs 20lbs and is 30 inches tall and I have no worries about her being/becoming over weight at all. She does have chunky thighs, but so do most babies that I see.

I would let her eat, but only healthy snacks (that includes cutting out empty carbs like white bread) and then express your concerns with her pediatrician.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Oh-make it fun! Not a "you have to eat this..'

Try "oh, yummy! This is great, do you want to try it?" with new foods. If they see you do it, they are more likely to try it.
    Anonymous

• My DD is 2 years old and was big from birth 9 lbs 11 oz 21 inches she is now 37 lbs and 40 inches ! She's going to be TALL they say 6'2 at the doctors office. She is SUPER active and is so picky that she doesnt eat much but she doesnt loss any weight but she maintains what weight she has. Kids are SUPPOSE to "graze " all day . 3 meals and 2 snacks a day is what some say.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 4:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would just feed her healthy food and snacks. My son at 1 yr was 29 lbs after they turn 1 their growth slows. At 2 years he was only 30 lbs. My son eats and is active. Get her active play don't starve her. You can't put a child that young on a diet. If you are worried talk to her pediatricin and see what they advise. She should be fine. As they get active they will slim down.
    momma2zac2006

Answer by momma2zac2006 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Give her all the steamed veggies and raw fruits she wants. You don't need to add any salt or sugar either. Give only small portions at meal time of meat and cut her off after that. Don't let her have but one bread and no sugar drinks. Just give 2% milk and water or something like juicy juice. YOU are in control of your child's diet. It is OK to say NO to snacks!!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 4:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would feed her healthy filling foods at all 3 meals and a small healthy snack in between meals.
    I would NOT feed her all day long, it starts out a bad habit.....
    My son loves to eat but all he gets is his 3 meals with the family and 3 snacks. Otherwise if he starts pointing or asking for junk food we start playing with toys or get a drink. It usually works.
    g/l and remember it make it fun, she is just a kid.....
    Anonymous

• Between meals or snacks, she should only have water. A constant intake of milk is unhealthy. Schedule meals and snacks. Don't let her eat or drink away from the table. That's a good rule anyway that will save you alot of cleaning, and also is a safety rule in most daycares :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 5:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2009