what should i do?

i want to breast feed my dd but shes premature and isnt latching on properly all the time. she constantly moves and wont stay on when she does get it right. ive been pumping every 2 to 3 hours and feeding her some of that and then trying to nurse her but i have to use a sheild...anyone else have this problem? im afraid i wont make enough milk if i keep having to pump...and how long should it take her to finally latch on good and suck harder? she was born at 36 1/2 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as you continue to pump, you'll produce enough milk. How the milk gets expressed doesn't really have much to do with how much milk you'll produce...then again, I could be wrong. In my case, it didn't have anything to do with how it was expressed.

How long have you been breastfeeding? You may need to consult a the hospital where she was born for a a specialist who's familiar with premature babies and breastfeeding. Breastfeeding can be challeging with a full-term baby, so it must be even more challenging with a preemie.

But don't give up, just give the hospital a call.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• she was born on valentines day so its only been a week or so.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, its gonna take a lot longer than a week for her to get the latch correct....I don't think most full-term babies are even getting the latch correctly all the time at that point.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Keep at it and work closely with a lactation specialist. It will come. You (both) can do it.

My son was born at 36 weeks...I formula fed, but he had such a weak suck, I finally had to put him on a fast flow nipple before he was 2 weeks old.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• get in touch with your local la leche league and see if they can give you some face to face advice/support.
    it might be difficult but you can do this!
    are you offering the breast before giving a bottle?
    because of baby's condition you might want to dry using a dropper for feedings instead of a bottle as the bottle will cause nipple confusion.

www.llli.org
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I had my daughter at 36 weeks and she would latch-on or take a bottle. I had to pump for 4 weeks before she would eat (and get enough) from the breast. Hang in there and continue pumping, Its worth it! Also, my daughter took to the bottle before the breast and now she has had no issues with going back and forth.
    AddysMom4ever

Answer by AddysMom4ever at 6:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Hang in there, keep pumping, and give her a little more time. A lot of premies don't do well with feeding until around their due date.
    The best thing you can do is spend lots of time skin to skin with her. Get in bed with her (for the whole day if you can! ) with you bare from the waist up and her in only a diaper. Let he sleep on your bare chest and encourage her to take the breast any time she shows the least interest.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009