Would you go to a church like this?

If there were a lady or man at the church that you go to that was having an affair and the leaders of the church knew about it, yet continued to let this person participate in church functions, like being a youth leader and singing in the choir, would you continue going there? I don't mean kicking the person out of church, but sheesh everyone knows it's wrong to commit adultry. The person has admitted to it and hasn't tried to stop either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They have to live with themselves and their sin. Singing in choir and being a youth leader shouldn't affect you as long as he keeps his adultery to himself. You can do anything about it--no public stoning anymore. It's not your issue.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• One of my co-workers has been living with her boyfriend for 7 years and will be tying the knot with him this summer. They both attend a Christian church and participate in many of the groups the church has to offer. The church elders know about their living together situation, and the only thing that they have been told is that the pastor will not give them pre-marital counseling, which is needed to get married in the church. They never however, were told not to come as attendies of the church.
    Anonymous

• No.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• ummm..at our church the elders would speak to them about the problem and offer what assistancve they could to stop the problem. If it blatently continued and the person was capable of making competent decisions..the would be ex-communicated. It is the position of the church leaders to guide the flock.
    Anonymous

• Well, living with a boyfriend is nothing at all comparable to an affair. I don't agree with any of it either and like you, yes it would bother me. Whether it is your business or not, you are entitled to you opinion and beliefs. Would I find another church? hmmm.....maybe, it would depend if there were other issues there that you do not condone or believe in. Good luck....did you ever wonder why she is having the affair and not just get divorced. There could be circumstances, if this person is a friend you could at least try to make sure things are okay. There is always more than meets the eye. But I agree that adultry is something I wouldn't tolerate in my own life.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• So you think everyone should be perfect before they can attend your church?
    Anonymous

• Absolutley not, I'm not perfect and I do not expect anyone else to be....that being said, I do believe in right and wrong, I don't believe it's right for anyone, christian or not to cheat or have affairs. I don't believe someone with things going on in their life like that should hold a position in the church, especially with it's such a public thing that everyone knows about. My child knows whats going on because their child told her, and they are involved in the youth. I just don't think it's a very good example to set.
    Anonymous

• Not for me to judge. There was a man in my church congregation when I was a young teen who was having an affair and had a child with his mistress. Everyone knew it and his wife stayed by his side. There were always whispers,etc but he remained faithful to his church callings and activities,etc.

In his case, tho...he did end the affair but the damage was done. He was a prominent member of the city too.

Let it be, we all screw up and some come to repent earlier for their screw ups then others.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Well, I know that sin happens in church because people are people everywhere. "All have fallen short of the glory of God." So anyone who goes to church and says they are perfect have committed the sin of lying at the very least!
    If your church follows traditional Christian values, the pastor is supposed to talk to the person doing it in private and help them stop. If they refuse to stop, it's demoralizing to the congregation to allow them to continue being in a position of leadership. Once they confess and stop, it's okay for them to resume their leadership duties. However, some sin is ongoing, no matter how hard they try to dump it. It's their responsibility to the church to let someone else lead then. If they don't it's the pastor's and/or elders responsibility to ask them to leave the position of leadership.
    Anonymous

• Well ...what would Jesus do?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2009