why do people ask..

"Why is it that a bottle must be taken a away at a year but you can breast feed to whenever? "

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Breastmilk doesn't contain as sugars like formula does. Not only that, the way the the baby is latched onto the breast doesn't promote tooth decay and misalignment of the teeth like a silicone nipple does (because a breast nipple is soft and compresses...a silicone nipple doesn't).
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Bottle use is hard to quit and sippy cups/bottles can cause cavities in new teeth. I'm not sure why. Breast feeding for years....? Not a clue, I would never do it.
    Anonymous

• People are dumb.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I never thought breast feeding should be continued past the time you would normally start a kid on a sippy cup. Just my opinion. Since this issue is so controversial, I'm posting this answer anon.
    Anonymous

• The bottle because of the damage it can cause to teeth, as for the breast, well that is a personal desicion, but if the baby after a year old and is eating a balanced diet doesnt need that as much either.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I think it is because they don't understand that they are both different things. breastfeeding has a lot of benefits to continue after a year, where as bottles have many many detrimental reasons why it shouldn't be continued after a year. both claims I made have been documented by scientists.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Both should stop before the age o 18 months. It makes me furious to see kids older than that with a bottle or breastfeeding. Feed them some real food- they DO have teeth you know!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Because they don't know the answer, I'm guessing. I don't think that makes them dumb.

I always find it a little funny when people such as yourself like to browse forums like this one and Yahoo! Answers that are specifically made for people to ask questions that that they don't know the answer to - and then snark at people for asking questions in the suitable sections.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Uhhh... Because breastfeeding is healthier for your child! Although I think it shouldn't be done past 18mos or so. Why do you care? You make your choices and let others make theirs!
    Anonymous

• Because breastfeeding has many benefits for as long as the duration of the breastfeeding. (of course there are also long term benefits of breastfeeding).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2009