Why is liquid laundry detergent supposed to be better for the environment?

Anyone know?

Sue41

Asked by Sue41 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It is hugely controversial..but there is some evidence to support that powders contain more phosphates that get into the water system and harm plant and aquatic life.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I never heard this before. I'd like to know if it's true, too. I know liquid is more expensive, but we use it because the powdered leaves undisolved specks sometimes.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 4:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Got this froma walmart fact sheet:

Concentrated Liquid Laundry Detergent Environmental Impact
    Concentrated liquid laundry detergent has a positive impact on the environment (plastic, water and transportation savings) and will change
    the way our customer shops. Wal-Mart expects to sell more than 800 million units of concentrated detergent over the next three years,
    which will benefit the environment by:
    • Saving over 95 million pounds of plastic resin
    • Preserving more than 400 million gallons of water
    • Conserving over 520,000 gallons of diesel gasoline
    • Reducing more than 125 million pounds of cardboard
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 4:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• You won't have the dissolve of dry fleck problem if you start your water..add your detergent..then add your clothes. Regardless if you use liquid or powder.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I've seen that at walmart before but I still don't understand. When I buy the concentrated, I use it just as quickly. I bought a HUGE box of powder and it's lasted almost a month. One cardboard container as compared to 2 or 3 (at least) plastic bottles.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• you can skip all that and get phosphate free laundry soap. some brands are seventh generation and biokleen. not only are they phosphate free, but are also not made with petroleum products. 2 things that will help the environment. and thy aren't any more expensive than tide.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would have figured the cardboard to save trees! The plastic thing sort of shocked me. Doesn't making plastic put off carcinogens? Now if they had refillable containers, that would impress me. They do it for water. They should do it for liquid detergents and save all that plastic plus should save us money. Our area doesn't recycle so all those plastic containers are filling up the land fills.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009