"terrible twos" at one year?

My baby (Ok, I say baby, but he's a toddler now...) just turned a year old the beginning of the month... He's got a bad temper, especially when he's tired. He wants to be held all of the time, and if I so much as set him down to cook or go to the bathroom or whatever, he starts a screaming fit. He got mad at me the other day because he drank everything that was in his cup, so he threw it down and *ran* across the room and started hitting me. He also pinches and bites when he is angry (which seems to be all of the time). His screaming fits dont really include much crying, just an angry scream/screech... and the hitting/biting/pinching.

Any ideas what is going on? What can I do to calm him down? I never know when this is going to happen, it just happens all of a sudden, out of nowhere....

*And no, before you ask, there's no abuse anywhere, no screaming, etc in our house.*

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I thought ,I was the only person going through this, my sweet beautiful granddaughter is 20 months old,she screams,fights, throws,I have never seen anything like it,out of 5 children,6 grandchildren, nobody never acted like this, and my poor daughter just sit and stare at her cry.The doctor told us to start putting her in timed-out, when we do, she sit there for a minute,get up clap her hands,and then she will doing something else, we can't even take her to church,our next step is to contact EARLY CHILD INTERVENTION,I know they will be able to help, this is not cute,funny, or natural.My whole family is hurting,it's not like she is a little bad,SHE'S DENNIS THE MENNACE IN A LITTLE GIRL BODY.Good luck to you.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Um, you need to correct that type of behavior before he gets any older.

Whatever method of discipline you use, you need to let him know its NOT ok to hit, pinch, bite, or any other of that nonsense he's doing.

From 1 year to 2 years, there's about 4-6 stages your child will go through...each one is different, but they all pretty much have a few things in common: Lots of crying and acting out.

But its up to you to correct the acting out...if you let him get away with it, you're really going to be in for a treat when he turns two. You think he's terrible now? Just wait. lol
    It keeps getting better and better. And the three's are worse than the two's.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I heard terrible two's actually start closer to the first birthday, anyway. You may have answered your own question. He needs more sleep so he can cope with frustration better. Maybe when he starts up you can hug him and tell him, "You're frustrated!" in an understanding voice. Then redirect his attention to something else. In other words give him the skill to distract himself with something pleasant whenever he's getting upset. This worked for our two year old. Don't underestimate the sympathic "You're frustrated!" Since your little one isn't able to say what's bugging him, he is showing you! Of course tell him firmly that you don't allow biting, hitting, or pinching. But don't deny that he's trying to communicate his frustration.
    Anonymous

• Time out can start now! Tell him that it is not acceptable and be consistant!! Time starts over when he gets out of timeout. He might at this age be put into his baby bed to stay until he calms down. Then just keep saying NO to him and tell him you won't be pinched or hit. That is a bad no no. Tell him to tell you instead what is wrong. Listen and use talk to assure him that you love him but he has to get the idea that you are the parent and you have rules. Be consistant and good luck. Eventually he will get the idea.
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 5:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• He's testing his boundaries, seriously. he wants to see how far he can push you. you need to let him know that you are a rock, unmovable and if you tell him something STICK TO IT, don't give in because your tired of hearing him scream or whatever. you have to let him know your the boss and what you say or do is final.
    MadeinUSA144

Answer by MadeinUSA144 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• "Terrible Two's" usually start in the 2nd year of life - which is what he's in now.
    At this young age, redirectiong is still the first thing to try. If he's throwing a fit because he can't have a cookie, you go sit down and start rolling a ball. See if he'll forget his grievance and come play with you.
    If that doesn't work, then you start time-outs. The first phase of a time-out is calm down time. Pick a time out spot (playpen with no toys, bottom step, chair in a corner, mat in the middle of the floor - but not his room or crib). Take him there.
    Leave him until he calms down. Stay nearby where he can see you but don't try to talk him out of the fit. You can hum or sing a calm song but don't interact with him at all. Remember, he is feeling overwhelmed and out of control and needs to learn to master those feelings. If you leave his sight, he may panic since you are his protector against all scary things.
    -cont-
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If he broke a rule, you start the time-out time once he is calm. 1 minute per year of age. 1/2 mintues get added at 1/2 birthdays.
    If he didn't break a rule, if he just threw a tantrum, then you don't have to add time-out too.

Then you take him in your lap and say four sentences something like this:
    Thank you for calming down.
    I know you were angry that mommy wouldn't give you a cookie.
    You need healthy foods to grow big and strong.
    Let's go find a healthy snack to eat.
    or
    Thank you for calming down.
    I know you were angry when mommy took the scissors away.
    Scissors could hurt you.
    Let's go find a fun game to play together.

Do this no matter where you are. If you are out shopping, do it right in the middle of the asile. Other shoppers will actually appreciate it. Taking him to the bathroom or going home is too late. He will have forgotten all about it and won't understand the punishment.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I thought my son had terrible twos at one year too. But guess what... he only got WAY WORSE when he turned two! GOOD LUCK!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• While I agree with everything above, also check out what is in his food. Diet is very important to emotions and brain development, so if there is an allergy, or too much sugar, etc, it can change his mood! The same thing happens with adults, but we just say it's "stress".
    mrsflum

Answer by mrsflum at 1:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Almost forgot - And exercise! Maybe he has too much energy stored up that needs running out!
    mrsflum