Fake Chrisitan ..

So my MIL has been attending these church seminars about the book of Revelations, and has now completely changed her way of thinking. Again. Previously she attended another seminar and I don't have the full details, but what she went for was completely DIFFERENT from what she's decided to believe now. She constantly changing her views on being Christian and her opinions about it. It's getting quite frustrating as she is always on my case about it and forcing her newly found views on my daughter as well. I've tried tellling her to keep her seminars and information to herself as my SO and I already are secure in what we believe, but it's not that I'm telling her not to share with us or have an opinion, it's just tiresome of listening to something she didn't believe in 4 months ago and now suddenly she does. Is she just following a fad, or is she seriously a "lost" Christian or is she just doing it to annoy me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think she's fake. There are many facets and views on Chrisitanity, so you're always learning something new.

That being said, it may not always be the truth either. But people who believe it to be true would obviously want you to believe the same truth. It just sounds like she's passionate about what she's learned.

If it bothers you that much, just let her talk. Its not like you have to convert to what she believes.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 5:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• it sounds like she is truly trying to learn. with that being said though I would tell her that while you are willing to discuss your differing views or what not that you ask she not try and change your view or "convert" your daughter.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I dont think she is fake either. It sounds like she's searching for the answers and trying to find what she needs to do/know to be a better person/christian. And once she thinks she is on to something she wants to share her newfound knowledge with her loved ones. She's excited and she wants to share....her approach isn't really perfect but I'm pretty sure her intentions are good.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• She is trying to "find herself" so to speak. She is testing out new ideas and is the type to get overly excited and overbearing about something she thinks everyone should believe. (Hey, sounds like some posters on here! LOL)

They used to call people like that a bore because they get tiresome to be around.

I'd protect my daughter as much as possible from her rantings and just hope she will find something to finally stick with. Meanwhile, when she starts up just say, Oh, gotta go! Cutting her off will hopefully send her the message you're not interested. Without you and DD as an audience, she'll move on to some other poor listener!

As for being fake or lost, that is between her and God who sees her heart.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like back in the 80's when people used to discover Jim & Tammy Faye. Eventually it would wear off, but for a good 6 months or so it created a lot of people who were impossible to be around for more than ten minutes.

You said she's gong to seminars - is she paying for them? If she's made a habit of attending these things for a while they may have her flagged as an easy mark You might want to find out the specific group she's converted to this time and research them - make sure there aren't complaints against them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Actually I don't think she is fake at all.. she has questions and by learning more, she finds the pieces she thought were missing from what she really believes deep down. It's good to question things..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It sounds like she is not rooted and grounded in the word of God. Any seminars or teachings that she recieves should be an add on to what she already knows not a new doctrine. I would be concerned with her unstableness in the word. The bible says that a double minded man is unstable in all his ways. In order to teach someone the bible one must believe what it says for themselves regardless of a new teaching one must heard in passing.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Most of the posters have said she isnt being fake I agree. she is growing and hopefully reading the word along with what she is learning at the seminars. I love to listen to teachings and much of what I recieve I go to the word to see if it matches up.
    When we go deeper into the things of God we may look like we are constantly changing but the basic view should never change and that is Jesus is Lord and Savior , died on the Cross and rose on the 3rd day.
    Her mindset is being challenged as all of ours should be and getting to know the things of God will change the way we think. We should have more of a heavenly mindset but to get there takes changing how we think about God, Jesus , Holy Spirit and His Word.
    A fake christian is not someone who wants to know more but doesnt care about what the bible says and has no desire to change .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• A fake Christian is someone who claims Christ, but doesn't care who He is. They only want a get out of hell free card.
    For better info read 1 John. It is only 5 chapters, and outlines a follower of Christ quite well.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• There is a piece of scripture that talks about when seeds are sown. Some take root some don't. . If your MIL isn't grounded in The Word the wind can blow the seeds away and they won't take root. She needs to find a good church where she believes what they teach and stay there and get rooted in what the Bible actually says so she isn't like the willow tree that bends at every blow of the wind.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2009