Aldi's???????

How often do you go? How much do you normally spend? For what size of family are you shopping at Aldi for? Is there anything you won't get there?

My last Aldi trip sucked...but, I am willing to try it again...I almost have to with the way the economy is going...because even if Obama can fix it like he claims...it will be a long time before we see any real changes.

Briyawna

Asked by Briyawna at 5:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Shopping

• I wish we had an Aldi's in our area. I saw stuff about them on Clark Howard. Sound like it would really help with the food budget!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• man i havent seen one the whole time i have been in the US but they have them overseas.. LOVE THEM just wanted to add my 5 cent
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 5:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I don't touch Aldi's with a barge pole, the last time I went there it was raining and nobody could take a cart because they do not have a shelter for them, so they were soaking wet. And there never seems to be anyone on the tills.

I shop at Lidls a lot - I like it. They have good prices, fresh fruit and veg - good special offers and they always have someone at the till.

I do a weekly shop at Lidls, for me my partner and our 16 month old - and it usually comes to about 50 euro (I'm in Ireland) - which, as sterling and the euro are so close right now, is probably about the same amount in pounds.

Funnily enough, in the town I live in, Aldi's and Lidls are situated RIGHT next to eachother - and Aldi's always has far less cars in it's parking lot than Lidls.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Aldi does have some very good deals and alot of their foods are great, some not so great. I don't care for the quality of their meats. The last time I tried them they seemed better than the previous time I tried them about 6-7 years ago. They have improved but they still don't taste as good as the meats I get at other supermarkets in my area. Certain products we acutally like better than national brands, like the cereal bars. We like them better than the NutriGrain ones. I haven't really compared the sugar contents, but the ones from Aldi don't seem to be as sickeningly sweet as the NutriGrain ones are. I buy prouduce and dairy products there almost every week. I love their brand of premium Kona coffee. It doesn't get that bitter thing going on like most coffees tend to do. I get alot of stuff there when I'm going to be making a dessert or something for a pot luck. We save lots of money shopping there!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• We do a lot of shopping at Aldi. The one in my town is very nice and seems to have a better variety than others I've been to. We're a family of 4 - one teenage boy and one 9 year old boy that is going through a growing spurt right now and eating everything in sight. Some of our favorites are: fresh produce, frozen pizza, cinnamon rolls, cereal, coffee. Their prices on the basics (eggs, milk, bread, cheese, flour, sugar) are usually cheaper than anywhere else. The only thing we didn't care for were the frozen French toast sticks. The ice-cream sundae cones (similar to Drumsticks) are wonderful and $1.99/box here. We usually get 2 a week. We do not buy much meat there except the bags of boneless/skinless chicken breasts and frozen ground turkey. My kids love the tater tots, curley fries and popcorn chicken.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 10:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I went to Aldi's a few years ago and it was a horrible experience, but now that I know about the store I will try it again. My daughter was 2 when I went the first time so I was paying attention to her and not reading all the signs. I was yanking the cart and couldn't figure out why it was stuck. alady came up and said give me quarter and I'll give you mine. I thought she was jsut being rude, and the whole guessing how many bags you want before you pay. I was like I want as many as it takes. I was just totally unprepared, but now that I know and won't be trying to figure it out with a 2 yr old I would try it again.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• ria7- I had the same problem...but this time...I know to go to a different Aldi that is less busy....and also I am not bagging stuff...I am putting 2 or 3 big laundry baskets in the back of my car and then rolling the cart out there with everything not in boxes or bags and tossing it all into the baskets...and that way it will be easier to carry into the house...I only need to make 2-3 trips instead of like 4 or 5 or more...I'd honestly rather shop at WalMart (and still will for Name Brand things I refuse to get anything else) but with how the economy is and my husband's check lately (he is a tow truck driver and only gets 40% of every call her does..so it business is slow he's not getting paid much)...and we're trying to pay down our debt...and also trying to still keep a family vacation to Texas is June 2011 a possibility...and without changing to getting a majority of our grocery items at Aldi we cannot do that....
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 10:15 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I shop at Aldi's almost every week. There fresh produce line is excellent and the prices are great. I save alot on produce shopping there and can veggies also, I can get at least twice the amount compared to Walmart, I buy alot of cereal there also. I do home daycare so the savings for me is well worth it and having to bag my own groceries is not a big deal to me. The money I save is the main point especially with the econmony, saving money anywhere you can is the smartest thing to do, even if it means a little extra effort and time.
    lisasdaycare

Answer by lisasdaycare at 11:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2009