What would you do? Bad evaluation based on one very bad day.

Long story short: I got a horrid evaluation the day after I had a meltdown at work. My coworker is a non communicative person. We have one computer. I am a float but I am based out of there. She doesn't want to let me on the computer and by the time all was said and done, I had a very unfair evaluation which accentuated my weaknesses and didn't recognize my strengths. I found out that day that my coworker was actually considered my supervisor. I am wondering what different personalities would do under the circumstances. I need the job but I am beside myself with anxiety.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Take personal responsibility for your reaction to the situation. You said you had a meltdown. Not professional. Regardless of who is pushing your buttons, you owe it to your career and reputation to be above that and show off your people skills. I'd go into my boss and without making excuses (the other lady, yada, yada) I'd tell him it's my intent to be professional, not emotional from now on. It will impress him that you are proactive and mature enough to try to make the workplace pleasant.
    As for the other lady, her attitude is going to be discovered and the chickens do come home to roost, you know!
    Anonymous

• Prove the evaluation was a lie through your day to day performance. It's very likely the evaluation would have been bad in any event...you were set up. I'd start looking for another job.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009