• In the Spotlight:

does sex really help start the labor process?

im 33 weeks pregnant now, and i havent had sex since i was 14 weeks... im not necessarily planning to have sex from now til when im due, but i was wondering if sex/semen really causes labor to start, or whatever.

piercedmomma412

Asked by piercedmomma412 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not really "causes" but can accelerate an early labor in-progress. Semen and oxytocin (from mom's orgasm, touch, happiness, nipple stimulation, foreplay, whatever) can nudge things up a notch.   Not a for-sure thing, but can augment!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would say it helps.. did for me
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 5:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Absolutely! Of course having sex now isn't going to "cause' labor to start. I was sexually active my entire pregnancy and it didn't cause preterm labor. But when you are starting to get ready to have that baby, it can help speed the process along, The cum from a man will help soften your cervix, so have him cum inside of you. Also the rigorousness of the sex can help cause contractions to become stronger.

My doctor said to me "Sex got you in this situation and sex can get you out of it". By the last 2 weeks I was wearing my man out with rough sex at least twice a day.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Any exercise late in term will help. That's why some women are told to walk the hall in L & D.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It is really the pleasure that causes your abdomen to contract. It is related to the way breastfeeding helps you loose weight because it makes your uterus contract. It will help, and cause you not to be as focused on the worries of the baby. But you should only haave sex with a person you trust, as you said you are not dating anyone right now. And it is still possible to get diseases and pass them onto your baby. Just be careful. ;)
    bmotterbacher

Answer by bmotterbacher at 8:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I heard that it does. But I haven't have sex since I was about 21 weeks and I don't plan on having sex with a stranger, where' s the father you ask? Well we have been split up like after I made 3 months and I dont want any from him.. But I wouldnt mind something starting my labor up.. Hey I guess I'll have to wait until he comes out all by him self... You should try it
    pregnproud88

Answer by pregnproud88 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW. IM NOT GOING TO BE HAVING SEX WITH A STRANGER, OR ANYONE ELSE MOST LIKELY, THIS WAS JUST A QUESTION BECAUSE I WAS CURIOUS IF IT WERE TRUE. I WOULD NOT EVER RISK HARMING MYSELF OR MY BABY, JUST FOR MY OWN SHORT LENGTHED PLEASURE. I CAN PLEASURE MYSELF, AND BE MORE THAN HAPPY THAT WAY! LOL :)
    piercedmomma412

Answer by piercedmomma412 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• ACTUALLY, bmotterbacher.....

Sperm contains prostaglandins (same thing as cervidil, and other cervical softning medications.) Having sex doesn't "cause" you to go into labor, it can just "help" it along. This cam strait from my best friend's mouth (who is both an L&D nurse and lamaze instructor!)
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• babyruby02, I am not saying it doesn't. I understand that and you had already made that point. I was just saying that sex also causes your hormones to make your stomach contract and those contractions can trick your body into thinking it is time for true labor, thus speeding up your labor as well. This is just if you want to use a condom. That is all. Once again I was not arguing with you.
    bmotterbacher

Answer by bmotterbacher at 2:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Or for masturbation. ;)
    bmotterbacher

Answer by bmotterbacher at 2:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2009