croup & stridor

Ok, so my 2yr old has been diagnosed with these two. Stridor is kinda freakin me out. As it was explained to me, it enlarges her vocal chords and causes it hard for her to breathe. She was taken to the dr on tuesday and they gave her prednezone for the stridor. As far as the croup goes, I am just keeping the humidifier on and warm and steamy in the bathroom when it gets bad. So, my ? is, has anyone dealt with stridor? It has been a week and all though the croup seems to be better, she is wheezing alot. Is this the onset of asma?

tessntylersmom

Asked by tessntylersmom at 5:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Croup/stridor usually last 3-5 days at the worst. It does sometimes take a while for the final coughing and such to clear up. (I've dealt a LOT with croup)

Stridor is a symptom of croup when it's bad. The croup is what is causing her airways to close, they are swollen enough to cause the stridor. The steroids help lessen the inflammation, lessening the stridor. They don't always get the stridor when they get croup.

If she is now wheezing, there could be something else going on. Don't know, you'll find out when you take her back in. If she is wheezing, though, and it's wheezing in her lungs (as opposed to in her throat) then you need to take her in...like yesterday.

Asthma is difficult to diagnose at a young age. I have two (2 years and 3 years) who now have diagnoses of asthma.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I should add that she will be returning to the dr on tuesday for a checkup, however I just wanted some feedback from others. Thank you.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 5:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Keep and eye on her. If it doesn't clear up take her back. I remember that being really scary. My daughter got that when she was two. We took her to the hospital and they gave her an immediate dose of steroid meds and nebulized her right away. When she got home the rest just went away within 3-4 day's. I couldn't relax until it did.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009