Do you let your tweens ride ATV's?

I just read about at 12 year old boy that was killed when he lost control of the ATV he was riding and crashed into a wall. I have been adamantly against my boys (10 and 11) getting any kind of motorized vehicle, whether it's an ATV, dirt bike, pocket bike, anything because I hear of this happening too often. I feel they do just fine with their bicycles and their little scooters they push with their feet. I'm not judging those of you who do let your kids ride ATV's by any means, I just don't think its the right decision for my family even though my boys are extremely responsible for their ages. What about the rest of you?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 5:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Not for my family, too many of their freinds and friends siblings and even parents get hurt them all the time. Some even killed.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 9:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I had a go-kart when I was 5... a motorcycle when I was 7.

My oldest son, now 10, got a 50cc ATV for Christmas 2 yrs ago (when he was 8) & my younger boys, now 5 & 6, got the powerwheels versions at the same time. My daughter got the smaller powerwheels atv (6 volt) for her 2nd birthday.

All my younger ones will get real ones, too, when they're big enough.... that is ~ if my husband & I don't spend all our money on dirtbikes or atv's for ourselves first LOL We've been wanting some for a while now.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My 5 yo has an 50cc 4-wheeler and our 10yo has a motorcycle and rides the 4wheeler since she was 5. As long as the parents are there to supervise and teach the do's and don'ts I don't see anything wrong with them. both are kids grew up with us enjoying riding ours all their life. they know bad accidents happen and what not to do. If you go looking to buy onw; there are controls that you can turn on or off that controls how fast the ATV goes.

dinkadink

Answer by dinkadink at 6:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• nope. and no minimotorcycles/motorized dirtbikes.

But we are thinking about getting them into gokart racing. if we can afford it.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I tought my 12 year old to drive when she was 6. We lived on 10 acres and the fall cleanup took me forever. I taught her to drive the lawn tractor and it was so much easier for me. She practiced for 2 years helping me, she was, and is a great driver. She drove to each pile of leaves, and then deep into the woods, I rode in the trailor to the woods.She was then allowed to ride it for fun as long as I was outside with her. It wasn't long after that that I tought her to drive my truck. We had so much fun bouncing around the 10 acres..I was always in the middle seat beside her. I got a snowmobile a couple of years ago, and she took off on it like she'd been driving forever. She loves giving me rides on it, and her 2 year old brother. She's well aware of my rules and the consequences should she break any...but she never has. I grew up on a farm and learned to drive the same way she did....except the tractor was huge. cont...
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 9:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I was not pleased though, when I found out my 22 year old was letting her drive on country roads to the store a few miles away. She drives with my supervision only and not on the roads. She's driven golf carts and go carts countless times. I would let her drive an ATV, and I know she is going to be a great driver when it's time for her first car. Teaching her at a young age and letting her drive was not just for fun, I won't have to worry so much when she starts driving without me. I'll be more concerned about the other kids on the road. She has excellent driving skills and common sense. I don't think there is a right age for motorized vehicles, it's when the parents feel the kids can drive them safely.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 9:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My kids have always had motorcycles & ATV's the boys were around 11 when they got there dirt bikes & my dd is 8 & had her own ATV for 2 yrs. We live in Tennessee there's tracks everywhere the thing is to TEACH your children HOW to ride don't just assume they can! We ride all the time it's a normal thing to pack a lunch, load the 4 wheelers & dirt bikes & go to the mountain around here,They should ALWAYS wear helmets If they are taught how to ride it sure is a lot of FUN!

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 8:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I was riding snowmobiles & 4 wheelers at 5 years old. We were taught how to ride and safety and were supervised until we were older. I don't have a problem with letting my son ride if a few years. They're going to be driving a vehicle eventually, why not teach them some skills & responsibility now?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• we do have motor cycles and ATV's..... I've been riding since I was a kid.... and my kids started riding (thier own) around 5 years old. They started out with tiny ones, and move up/upgrade as they outgrow them.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2009