Please I Need Serious Advice!!

I am a first time mom of a 3 1\2 yr old. My son isnt really exposed much to kids except when going to the park. He only has one 7 yr old male cousin that he see's maybe once every few weeks. let me get to the point.. I caught my nephew telling my son to say nasty things such the sex word and lick my weenie ,I of course was freaked out that he was saying these things to my son. well a few wks ago my husband's dad babysat for us and informed us that my son had pulled his pants down and told him to lick his weenie, same thing happened with our regular babysitter a week before that, I am horrified and embarrased and feeling like im such a horrible parent for not taking the neccesary steps to insure that this somehow would not have become such a huge problem, I need to know if any parents have dealt with this and how to correct.Please no bashing, I am a first time mom and dont know what to do... Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I personally haven't had this problem with my own kids (she is too young) however my husband's nephews are somewhat vulgar in how they think and act and it started around your son's age. I think you should talk to the other child's parents, they need to step in on this one...but it isn't your fault, i don't think you did anythign wrong, maybe you have to watch the 2 of them together more...i am very paranoid i guess, so i would worry that the other boy would want to "play" with your son, maybe things would escalate past words? so talk to his parents, explain to your little boy not to say those things, and keep a watchful eye
    december911

Answer by december911 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• He doesnt understand what he is saying, I think it was your reaction to what he said that is keeping him saying it, and the other family members reaction, sometimes just a we dont talk like that and walk away will do, other times a time out is needed... yeah keep an eye on him and the older one together.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• No you didn't do anything super wrong, he's just found out something he can say to get a rise out of others. I would follow through by telling him that is not appropiate in a CALM voice and if he does it again CALMLY remind him and send him to time out. Let the others taking care of him also know how to react. When its no longer fun he'll stop. And talk to the other boys parent. Lord, I remember being on a road trip and stopping at a McD's to play my 2.5 yr. old went up into the toys and came down saying F*&% over and over, can't tell you how many colors I turned in front of everyone, but I also knew exactly which little girl he had heard that from. He did it a couple of more times over the next few days and when he realized it was a fun thing, he stopped.
    It happens, but watch that other child and talk to his parents.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• tell him we dont say and do that ,keep an eye on him and the other child,worst scenario is older child has been exposed to that-ask him
    Anonymous