family member watching my son

My son was in a really nice (expensive) daycare that i really loved however when he lost his job we had to find a cheaper alternative. My sister-n-law offered to watch him for me because she also has a son who is the same age and now also has a 3 month old. All was well until my husband found out that she had to go somwhere the other day and left my son with one of my brother-n-laws friend while he was sleeping! My brother-n-law also has friends that stay over alot so they are there in the morning and I do not know any of these people. My husband doesnt want to pay to send our son back to the large daycare but he wants me to find another in home daycare for our son that is closer to our house that is maybe cheaper. There are many good things my sister-n-law does with the kids but there are a couple of these issues. I think my son was getting used to going there and now I will have to get him used to another stranger?

paytonpants54

Asked by paytonpants54 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• It is a tough situation! on one hand, do you trust your in laws judgement on the people around your kids? it sounds like maybe your husband doesn't, and that is something to take into consideration...as for having to move your son again....if it is what is best then i would do it, but try to be as sure as possible on the next person you choose to leave him with, take your time, and be picky when getting to know them so that he doesn't have to be uprooted again! I have to switch sitters in September, after a year with the same one...and i am dreading it!
    december911

Answer by december911 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If you can get him into a licensed home daycare, that would be much better. They are so much more regulated than just leaving him with a relative. Home daycare's have to follow a dietary guideline so you know he is getting healthy food, they are inspected fairly frequently so you know that your child is going to be in a safe environment. I'm not saying all home daycare providers are the best people to leave your kids with, some are not. You will have to spend some time with them. Don't just go for a interview. Ask if you could possibly sit in during a few hours, see how your child interacts with the other kids, see how he reacts to the provider, do your own "inspection" of the home, ask loads of questions. Become very well informed before you make your decision, then go with your gut instinct because for me, that has always been how I have decided. One time I went against it and it was a mistake.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• She should NOT leave your son with other people. You are paying HER. If she wants to do that she should have to ask you first. I babysit and sometimes my MIL will keep all the kids for me if my oldest has a field trip or something, but I ALWAYS okay it with the Mom I babysit for.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2009