what are the signs...

that baby is getting enough while breast feeding? im afraid shes not getting as much as she should. how much does/did your one week old eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only real way is to do a diaper count, 6 or more (wet and/or dirty) in 24 hours and she's getting enough.
    The most important thing is to just keep feeding her on demand, she needs to eat frequently as she digests very quickly.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If she pulls away during a feeding and seems content, then she's fine! Thats how I always judged my daughter... You could also count the number of wet diapers she has.... When my dd was a week old she was using both breast for about 15-20 minutes each! We had to give her bottles in the hospital for jaundice, and she ate about 4 oz. each time then plus breast time!!! A little piggie!!!... Different babies different amounts.. Don't go by what other babies eat tho, as long as your lo seems happy, then you have nothing to worry about! By the way-what makes you think she's not getting enough?
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 6:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• shell just sit at my breast sometimes. shell suck for a mintue and then just sit and kind of fall asleep so i have to wake her up. shes a premie so i just want to make sure bc half the time she doesnt latch right. she eats every 2 to 3 hours and it varies between an ounce in the bottle and bf for about 10 mintues to 2 ounces from a bottle and 5 to 10 mintues bfing. i offer my breast first and when she seems done i try the bottle and she takes more which makes me think shes not trying hard enough to suck.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Drop those bottles they are only going to lead to a failed breastfeeding relationship. Every time she takes a bottle is one less time your breast is receiving the signal to make more milk. You have to trust your body and baby to make enough ( & it will!). Count baby's diapers and beyond that hang in there and feed baby on demand (no matter if it is every 30 minutes or every 3 hours). She will be just fine with what your body produces please trust her and your body!!!

Anonymous

• Its going to be hard at first, especially with a premie. It was hell with my dd. Just keep trying, she'll get the hang of it. My dd would act uninterested also, but she'll let you know when she is hungry! Just feed on demand, as often as she wants and as much as she wants. Have a bottle handy, and if that seems to be what she wants, then thats fine. As long as she is being fed thats all that matters!!! Good luck momma!
    -You are more than welcome to PM me if you have any other questions or concerns.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 6:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• maybe it just makes her sleepy and comfortable to be near you so she doesnt try hard enough to BF.Its also easier for them to get the milk out the bottle.
    Anonymous

• yeah...i wish i didnt have to use a bottle but she needs it right now until she gets the hang of breast feeding.
    Anonymous

• Why do you feel she *needs* a bottle??
    Anonymous

• Have you tried SNS (supplemental nursing system)? They're good for premies. It's very common for premies to have nursing problems, and these can help establish good nursing. She should have 6-8 wet diapers each day, and it IS okay if she doesn't poop every day. Just make sure the poops are soft. Are you pumping as well? What are you feeding her in the bottles (formula or breastmilk)? If you'd like to PM me, feel free, I'm a lactation specialist. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:26 AM on Feb. 23, 2009