help.. i had french tips put on and now..

my right thumb hurts like if you touch my thumb or nail its sore? will it go away or get worse what should i do? this was my first time getting them done its not screaming pain just feels sore and anoying we celebrating our anniversay tomorrow and just wanted something nice any advice??

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Sounds like what we nail techs call a hot spot. If you file too much on the natural nail it becomes extremly sensetive. Adding chemicals such as polymer and monomer(the acrylic chemicals)can really irritate it. It will go away, but don't let them file you so much on you natural nail next time.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• The soreness usually goes away in a day or two. You can take a couple of motrin for the pain.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Did you get wraps? Acrylic? Gel? What type. Trust me I am a girlie girl I can most likely answer your question if I know exactly whats on your fingers. If its acrylic over your natural nail that maybe the acrylic has to settle. If its not gona by tomorrow I'd go back to the nail salon and let them redo that nail. If it was a fake nail glued on, they could hav glued it wrong where it is uncomfotable. I get acrylic over my natuiral nails and sometimes the first day, when I get a new set done, they are sore from having all that work done to them. Its not easy being high maintenance!!! LOL
    Anonymous

• lol. i had just tips applyed and then the sanded it down and put a gel typt stuff and buffed so it looks and feels like one nail not added on smooth. so the top of nail is fake but the bottom is my nail. the sides seem to hurt
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• They probably just made the skin around your finger raw using the drill (the electric filer) and probably filed your nail a little too much. Many salons use the drill on top of your natural nail to make it gritty so that the nail and acrylic will stick. This is lazy and a huge no-no. You can make your nails too thin, brittle and even get an infection. I always have to remind the girl NOT to use the drill on my natural nail. All of that can definitely make a finger sting. An emery board is just fine to roughen the nails to make the acrylic stick. You're probably fine. Just keep washing your hands thoroughly and take motrin.

I dated a man whose family owns a chain of nail salons and have been getting mine done for the past 10 years. Needless to say I've had plenty of experience with nail jobs lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• yeah thats what they usesd.the eletric thing lol and roughed up my natural nails then added glue and tips then buffed them then added a gel and they dried under a blacklight for 3 mins. now the sides of my left thumb are a lil sore. didnt know id it would just get better or if i needed to go back in the am were leaving around 10am for our anniversary thing and dont want to be in pain. so motrin should help it?
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• the reason why it hurts is because when they "roughed" the nail, they went down to far. It'll go away in about a day. It's not supposed to hurt when you get your nails done.
    SLGross215

Answer by SLGross215 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• that happened to me the first time i got them or even now sometimes right after i get them...all my fingers were a lil sore but if one finger is extremely sore you can always like take that nail off and go get it redone...or you can cut the sides of it back a lil...or just push your cuticle back all the way around the nail sometimes that helps:) and it should go away and if not i would def just take that one nail off and go get that one done again:)
    Tannarae

Answer by Tannarae at 9:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• that happens to me when i get them on again but it usally goes away the next day.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009