When should I take my hubby's last name?

Okay, so we've been married for two years and I still didn't get it done. I plan on doing it but waited because I thought it would get in the way of school paperwork and such. Well my hubby thinks that by the time I get done with everything.. it's such a long time and I think he wants it now. I also just applied for a job last week, so if this week my name is different, would it be okay? Should I change it before or after I do the drug screening for the job? Any moms changed their last name while they were in school? Sorry I'm just indecisive as to when I should do it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Do you really want to? If you did, it would be done by now, and no excuse would have stood in your way.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yes I really do want to, and that was not the question btw. I don't want to be rude but why couldn't you just be helpful and actually answer my question?
    Anonymous

• Personally, you should have done it right after the wedding if you wanted to do it. (in answer to the title question)

I married in school, while moving from one school to another. I changed my name. There was no problem.

As for the job. Just change your name and let them know after it's official. It's not like they can hold it against you for finally taking your husband's name. Might they question the delay? They might, but it's not really their business.

Or..don't change it and keep your maiden name. That's between you and your husband to iron out. If he wants it done now, and you want to do it...I don't see what the question really is.
    Anonymous

• Because you're the only one that has the right answer for you and your family. How can a complete stranger tell you when the right time to change your name is. Traditionally it is very soon after the ceremony...not two years. If someone waits that long, people would think she just wants to keep her maiden name and would find it odd she is changing the name so late in the game.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I'd just do it now. I changed mine pretty quickly after I got married, but it took me FOREVER to change my old bank account over! I was married for a year and a half before I finally changed it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I changed mine right after we got married and I was in school, there was no problems most stuff for school uses your social security number and that doesn't change.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I got married and changed my name shortly before I graduated college. My degree is in my maiden name. It's not a huge deal. When you apply for a job, you can disclose if you've worked/held degrees under any other previous names. They expect that a woman might hold a certificate or has worked under another name because it is common for women to change their names after getting married/divorced/re-married so on and so forth. It will not affect your job application. Change your name when you're ready.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Heck ~ I've been married 12 yrs ~ At the end of last year I finally hyphenated in my married name ~ I still go by my maiden name.
    nookers

Answer by nookers at 7:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• if you really wanted to change your name then u wouldn't be thinking twice about it.. it isn't rude butit is tradition to take your hubbys last name... if tradition isn't your style then don't do it.. when i get married i'm not changing my name- what's the point? and besides- your last name isn't going to pass or fail you on the drug test so stop making excuses for not changing it already and embrace them lst name you already have... ther'e always hypenation!!! GOOD LUCK GIRL!
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 7:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• alwms thanks. lol I did not say it was going to pass me on the drug test, I meant that on my job application that they approved during my interview last week is my maiden name, so if I change my name then the drug test would show a different name. I was thinking about hyphenating our names but his is soo0 long already =)

halfpint - I'm really not thinking twice about changing my name, nor am I asking IF I should. I'm asking if I should get it done now or after I finish school because I don't know of the hassles.
    Anonymous