Were your children interested in the recent president election?

It seems like everyone in Kaye's Middle School was freaking out over who was going to be president. There were even songs made up about who would be the better president.

A.W.96

Asked by A.W.96 at 6:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, she was. Actually, she was pro-Obama until we went over what both sides believed in.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yep two of my kids were very into it. My dd of course is 19 but this was her first election and she was so cute and went and registered and voted. My 15 yr old is very into politics and so is my 8 yr old but he doesnt quite understand the importance yet. My 15 yr old is still very into it. Its great.

Answer by gemgem at 6:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Not too much, however, my sister-in-law was telling my 7-year-old niece that she had to slow down on the cheese she eats because it is very expensive. My niece then says to her, "Well, Obama better lower the price of that cheese."
    Anonymous

• My son was very into it. His school did their own little election....and because McCain won at the school, they didn't annouce a winner...acted like it never happened. I actually had to ask his teacher, and she told me that the admin thought it would be best to just let it go....which I find to be a bunch of BS. They are trying to teach the kids about the voting process...and then don't tell them the outcome of their own election.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Surprisingly yes.

mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My four were very interested. I was afraid I had influenced them but 2 voted McCain, 1 for Ron Paul and 1 for Obama do obviously they thought for themselves.

I was for anyone but Obama.
    LibraryLady200

Answer by LibraryLady200 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My 7yr old daughter asked a lot of questions. And she asked what we(hubby and I) looked for in a president. We answered questions to words she had like politics, parties, free market, capitalism. Questions like what is fiscal, socially, and personally responsibility. She is a bright kid and picks up on a lot. lol.. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My kids were very interested. My two bonus sons, 20 and 18 (just turned 18 beginning of Feb), were both keen on the election. Their mother worked closely with the democratic party. The oldest voted for Obama, the next would have but wasn't old enough.

My two younger sons, 10 and 7, were also greatly interested. There were mock elections in school and we talked about it at home. We discussed both sides and let their brothers voice their opinions since the older ones were pro-Obama. Both the younger ones liked McCain and were greatly disappointed in the results.

At least my kids are aware of the world around them instead of focusing on their own two-foot personal radius like most children in today's society. Some of us get so lucky, don't we?
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My daughter was very excited about the election. The entire school district (6 elementary schools, middle school and high school) held a mock election, which Obama won by a landslide. My daughter was very excited that Obama won the real election, and even convinced me to let her stay up late and see who won.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 9:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My children are only 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 (roughly) but I do have a funny story about my DS (2 1/2) and the election.
    My husband and I were very involved with the past election, talked about it a lot at home and about what both sides had to offer. I took my son with me to get our John McCain signs for our yard and for my mom and dad.
    After we put them in, etc...we had to go to the Democratic headquarters to get a sign for a local election of a family friend.
    When the lady came over to give us our sign, my son (who is normally shy around strangers) says to her...
    "Is this where we get our John McCain signs?"
    I could have died laughing....after we left the building! :-)
    That should enlighten everyones evening....kids really do say the darndest things!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2009