She's 2.5 and cries ALL the time!

I don't know if something is wrong b/c she really only fusses if I won't pick her up or if she doesn't get her way. I feel like I am losing it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At 2 1/2, she is ready to know right from wrong. What you are doing by picking her up is teaching her that by fussing, she gets her way. Totally wrong way to go about this. What you do is ignore her. Let her walk, that's why she has legs! ( And I don't mean to offend anyone that doesn't!) (This would apply to you, even if your kid does not have legs)... Don't let them get away with anything. You have to be a strong parent. You have to discipline them. Swat her on the butt and let her cry it out.. she will learn. Be consistant.
    Anonymous

• No, I don't pick her up.. She just wants to be picked up. She cries for no real reason at all. But I am worried maybe something is wrong with her..
    Anonymous

• It sounds like she learned to cry to get what she wants, teach her this behavior will not get her what she wants, teach her to use her words, if she crys while asking for a cookie or something to drink tell her to use her words to ask not whine. If she whines to get picked up, tell her no mommy cant pick you up right now, and walk away, when you have finished your task and she is calm then pick her up. You have given in so many times it will get louder before she understands some whining is expected at this age, but it should not be ALL the time. I am not telling you to neglect your DD and you know her, you know when she really needs you or when she just wants her way, if it is one of the "her way" moments just walk away.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I just read your response OP, and I dont think anything is wrong BECAUSE you said she does it when she doesnt get her way or wants to be picked up....That is normal childhood behavior, unless, did this just start or is this something she has been doing for awhile?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If this is new behavior that popped up in the last few days, I would have her checked over and make sure she is not sick or something. Growth spurts, teething (two year molars) and not getting enough sleep can also cause this. If this is new, don't just chalk it up to her being spoiled. While it is possible, it's pretty rare for a child to behave like this.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yes, this is a NEW thing. She did go to her Nana's for a wk and I am sure they did whatever she wants, b/c I am a SAHM and I don't pick her up or tolerate whining or crying at all. And she knows this, but it has been rough. The day after she came back from her Nana and Papa's I was about to put her in the shower and she sat down and spread her legs and said look momma. And her private was pink. But she is not feverish or seem like she's in pain or anything, just being a baby. So now b/c she has been whining I thought maybe it's her privates or she is just testing me with the rules.
    Anonymous

• because this is new I would have her checked, she could be coming down with something or nana and papa spoiled her rotten for a week and she should get back into routine in a dew days.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2009