Would you let your child get a skateboard?

Kaye, my 12-year-old daughter desperately wants a skateboard, but me and my husband don't really want her to, even with all the gear. She wants no gear at all, not even a helmet and a really cool skateboard. She says none of her friend wear "those retarded, clunky pieces of plastic" and she also used the "Look at Ryan Sheckler, do you see a helmet" excuse.

A.W.96

Asked by A.W.96 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would let her get a skateboard only if she uses the gear. It's too dangerous not to wear it! However, if you let her skateboard with her friends away from where you are, she'll probably not wear it....so only you know if you trust her enough to use it or no t.
    Anonymous

• Heck yeah. I've been wanting a skateboard myself for awhile. ..I personally don't wear safety gear either, but I guess if it were my 12 year old I would make them wear it if they wanted a skateboard.
    Anonymous

• I'd definately let my child get one! But would insist they wear safety gear (or they lose the board)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Let her have the skateboard, my son has been skateboarding since he was nine, tell her the gear isn't dorky its for her own safety. Tell her my son used to ride with no gear and he ended up breaking his arm in 3 places, he now has 12 screws, 2 plates and a tension wire in his arm. Kids will get hurt, it's all part of growing up the trick is to try and minimize the injuries.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Um you are the parents. I would tell her, she can have the skate board but the helmet is on at all times, if it comes off once, she looses the skateboard. The other pasd are not needed in my oppinion.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My son was awesome on a skateboard, could do all kinds of tricks, but he had sense enough to want to wear all of the protective gear. Tell her to look at Ryan Sheckler and then in the mirror, and say, "you aren't him, nor do you skate like him."
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 8:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Both of my kids skate! They are 4 & 10. Both have been skating since they could walk. Get her a board but make it mandatory she at least wears a helmet. Broken wrists are much easier to deal with then shattered brain matter on a sidewalk.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I agree w/ happyathomemum. My kids all have skate boards. Helmets are required @ ALL TIMES.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 8:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My 11 year old has a Ripstik. He usually wears his helmet when he gets caught not wearing it. All the other gear he has he loves to wear it. It's the helmet he hates.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I would let her have a skateboard. You can have her earn the skateboard, do extra chores or something, so she will appreciate it more and know she worked to get it herself. Take her to pick out a helmet and tell her no helmet, no skateboard, end of story. If she won't wear a helmet she can't have the board. At least that way, even if she doesn't like the idea of a helmet she has some control over the situation, and can choose the style and color that she likes.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 11:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2009