What to do for the Birthday Boy?

My son, David is going to turn 9 in April, and I am very open to any suggestions regarding his party, his presents... anything. We were thinking about a brand new bike, and also maybe a sleep over. We're not sure yet.

A.W.96

Asked by A.W.96 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I've always made a big deal of birthdays. In kindergarten all the kids in their class was invited and I hired a clown magician. When they were younger they loved a party at McDonalds play area.One year my daughter invited several friends for lunch and a movie. We've had parties at the roller rink, bowling alley, and this last year my 12 year old invited two friends and we took them to the great wolf lodge for the weekend, they loved it! There were a couple of years that they had a party and sleepover. I planned lots of games, a treasure hunt, had a pinata and they decorated their own cupcakes. All of the parties were big hits. You're the only one who knows him well enough to know what gifts he would like.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 7:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Boys love to compete! How about a party where they can do competition games (shoot the basketball in the trash can, blow cotton balls across the floor with straws, throw a nerf ball to hit a target) . Give out pennies when they win so they can buy a gift party favors at the end of the party.

I would not suggest a sleepover for a group of boys (too wild for too long), but a sleepover for one or two good friends would be good).

The gift, we have a boys sport necklaces on www.cjkidz.com (select CJKidz Products page) and boys tshirts (Peace Out Frog) which boys really like!

We have a good boys movies (like Sandlot, The Cure) safes and banks which teach boys about saving perfect for this age www.cjkidz.com (Spider's favorite things) or use this link which makes shopping for boys easy http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=5
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 8:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• momjs reminded me of a wild party my 22 year old had when she was 10. Those girls yelled, giggled and jumped around all night long. Her room was right above mine. I had a one month old and would like to have gotten some sleep. I kept hearing my daughter telling them that they can't do that. I thought she was talking about the noise. I was up and down the stairs countless times getting more annoyed each time. They finally fell asleep at 7:00 am, my baby woke up at 7:10. I hadn't slept for a minute....so, I woke the girls up and told them they had to get up at 7:10 as well. hehe. 3 weeks later I found out what my daughter was telling them they couldn't do. I got a phone bill for $400. cont....
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 8:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Those little stinkers were calling a psychic network. I called the place and spoke to a manager and told her I refused to pay because it had to be obvious to them that they were talking to 10 year old's. And if they weren't smart enough for that they had to know anyway....the were psychics. She wasn't about to admit that they were frauds...so I got $350.00 taken off of my bill. That was the last big sleepover she had.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 8:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• my son is turning 9 in april also. he is helping me plan the party. the food, the games. everything. why dont you try asking your son what he would like to do on his bday. my son came up with quite a few things. we went over them and picked out a few.
    jenkent

Answer by jenkent at 12:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2009